Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   You know your addicted when! (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/you-know-your-addicted-when-63018/)

Curt 02-18-2011 11:31 AM

You know your addicted when!

Interesting link!!

Addicted To Aquariums | Fish Tank Talk

I started my hobby a couple days before xmas. I had given up a bad habit and this was my reward... I have never had issues with money and paying bills etc. However My spending went out of control with just a 20g setup! I ended up having to postpone my rent check to my roommates until my next paycheck!!! I was out of control going to petsmart every other day... Its amazing how 20.00 here 10 there adds up!

I can totally relate to the article above not on all counts but I can see some of it.

I have stopped the spending thank goodness!

However I still sit and look at my tank and wonder what can I do!

So to make light of it I thought it would be fun to start a thread you know your addicted when?

I know I am addicted when I start giving lies about going to the pet store!

stevenjohn21 02-18-2011 11:56 AM

ha ha great thread !

You know your addicted when your in walmart food shopping and you cant walk past the pet aisle without having a "quick look" !

Romad 02-18-2011 12:13 PM

You know your addicted when
The people that call you over the weekend start the conversation with "I didn't catch you in the middle of water changes did I?"

jeaninel 02-18-2011 01:47 PM

When you rearrange your living room and get rid of some furniture to make room for just one more tank.

Curt 02-18-2011 02:22 PM

Browing online forums to find more people to talk "fish" to ;) 8-)

Plumkin 02-18-2011 02:24 PM

Selling your stuff on craigslist just so you can buy another tank

lorax84 02-18-2011 02:30 PM

My LFS has punch cards that give you discounts. Basically you spend $100 and get like $10 off on your next purchase, since getting back into the hobby in October I have filled up 3 cards. That doesn't even include the money I have spent online. If it wasn't for the fact that I know I am moving this summer it would probably be worse. I'm not addicted though...I can stop anytime...really I can.

:err:

aunt kymmie 02-18-2011 02:32 PM

When you no longer go on a real vacation because you are afraid to leave your tanks for any extended period of time.
When the B/F sees a new discus in your tank and says in an accusing tone, "When did you get that fish and how much did THAT cost you??" and you lie and say, "Oh, him? That fish? He's been there the whole time, I can hardly believe you're just now noticing him?"
You hope FedEx arrives while the B/F isn't around, as you don't want him to know how often packages are are being delivered to the house. The last thing he needs to hear is my driver saying to me, "Hi Kym, here's another package from Aquatic Foods, maybe you should buy stock in the company!"
When you start lying and hiding things, you're an addict. :oops:

Curt 02-18-2011 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aunt kymmie (Post 593937)
When you no longer go on a real vacation because you are afraid to leave your tanks for any extended period of time.
When the B/F sees a new discus in your tank and says in an accusing tone, "When did you get that fish and how much did THAT cost you??" and you lie and say, "Oh, him? That fish? He's been there the whole time, I can hardly believe you're just now noticing him?"
You hope FedEx arrives while the B/F isn't around, as you don't want him to know how often packages are are being delivered to the house. The last thing he needs to hear is my driver saying to me, "Hi Kym, here's another package from Aquatic Foods, maybe you should buy stock in the company!"
When you start lying and hiding things, you're an addict. :oops:

All I have to say about this is.... :omg: lol

This thread has made me laugh so hard (at work) that my co workers are wondering what drugs im taking lol...

britnyjackson 02-18-2011 03:55 PM

You know your addicted when...
your best friend asks if you like the fish more than her.
Your husband whines that you spend more time with your fish then with him...
You go to the pet store to get "dog food" and come home with a new tank....and new plants....and gravel....and a new fish...haha