Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Planted Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/)
-   -   Co2 diffuser? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/co2-diffuser-62997/)

Christople 02-17-2011 11:41 PM

Co2 diffuser?

Hi earlier today my family and I were discussing the ten gallon set up and my brother said something about co2 is a need for heavily planted tank. is it or is just fert. substrate and light suffecient. If it is a need what are the benifits of mechanical co2 and what are the disadvanteges. same qeustion for low tech co2

El Nandez 02-17-2011 11:59 PM

It isn't a must have or need per say, but it helps your plants grow faster and lushly. When using co2 make sure you closely monitor your ph as to much co2 can fluctuate your ph to dangerous levels. Also to much co2 can harm or even kill your fish. Advantage for mechanical, its cheap and works if the co2 is diffused properly and the mixture is made correctly, disadvantages does not last to long good maintenance is required to make it run smoothly. What do you mean by low tech?

Christople 02-18-2011 10:16 AM

bottle with a yeast culture and air line tubing running to the tank... So if I had a heavily planted 10 gallon would the plants be okay.

redchigh 02-18-2011 10:32 AM

If you look at my tanks (and byron's tanks) we never use supplemental CO2, or liquid CO2.

Both of us dose liquid fertiliser, and with modest light (some consider it 'low light') the fish and substrate produce plenty of CO2 for lush plant growth.

Some plants won't grow well in a low-tech tank, but I'd much rather come to terms with never growing dwarf baby tears and bright red hygrophilas than spend the time on a yeast CO2 factory and risk killing my fish.

Spending $2000 on a pressurised CO2 unit is also totally out of the question for me.

Read byron's stickies in the plant forum. That's really the place to ask this sort of question, I just happened to stumble over your topic here. ;)

I'll see if someone will move it for you.

Christople 02-18-2011 12:19 PM

well I decided to upgrade the main tank with rooted plants and there are a lot of fish in there and instead of setting up the tan gallon I am getting a African butterfly fish and some peat to lower the pH

Byron 02-19-2011 12:36 AM

I agree with redchigh; personally i would not waste the expense of CO2 in so small a tank. And I would worry about fluctuating water parameters more in smaller tanks than in larger where CO2 diffusion would have more benefit. But it all depends upon what you want from your plants, or the tank in general. The majority of plants will grow fine and be healthy (thus performing their function as water filters as well as looking nice) without adding CO2; there is a lot more CO2 produced in a healthy aquarium than many realize. But if you want very fast plant growth for some purpose, like propagating plants to sell, then adding CO2 will help. But remember that adding CO2 means considerably more light is needed, and daily dosing of nutrient fertilizers. This means more expense to set up and operate daily, plus the higher level biologically. The more you add, the greater the risk should something go wrong.

Christople 02-20-2011 10:30 AM

I decided to upgrade the big tank and get cooler fish on there. [the African Butterfly Fish] I will probanly get some more plants and just upgrade it in general