Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Stock for 29 US gal? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/stock-29-us-gal-62882/)

1stAquarium 02-16-2011 03:01 PM

Stock for 29 US gal?

I am moving house soon and taking this as an opportunity to rethink my tanks :) as I will have to clear everything out of them in order to move them anyway!

I have four tanks, one or two will be used for rearing BN catfish (ancistrus) fry and housing their parents and a few random fish which I have left from 'old' groups and don't want to expand these groups again (2 gold WCMM, one balloon molly, two guppies, one clown killifish, one badis badis and a female betta).One small one will go in the kitchen and probably house my frogs, so this leaves me with the largest, a 29 US gal. All I will have for this tank at the moment is a large ruby shark - I have had him since he was really quite small so don't really want to re-home him, although I know he could pose a problem living with other fish.

So - I just want a small number of larger fish which can live with a ruby shark with no problems. I like interesting and unusual fish such as ghost knife, and those small eel like fish (stripey black and orange) whose name escapes me at the moment!

Any ideas?

fishbreeder 02-16-2011 03:15 PM

tire track eel or fire eel silver dollars angel fish paulo sharks iridesent sharks tricolor sharks discus gourami's channel catfish knife fish african butterfly fish flagtails redhooks

1stAquarium 02-16-2011 03:23 PM

But a few of those wouldn't live with a ruby shark would they?

fishbreeder 02-16-2011 03:37 PM

i think they would b fine i kno sds and redhooks and all the sharks mentioned and gouramis would b fine.

Alexwb22 02-18-2011 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fishbreeder (Post 592148)
tire track eel or fire eel silver dollars angel fish paulo sharks iridesent sharks tricolor sharks discus gourami's channel catfish knife fish african butterfly fish flagtails redhooks

Hold on..... slow your roll..... let me take care of this..... do you plan on having over 300 gallon fish tank???
TT EEL AND FIRE EEL- Both grow up to 3 ft and will eat live. NOT SUITABLE FOR A 29 GALLON AQUARIUM..........
Silverdollars- Should do ok in a 29 for a little while, but would need a 55 gallon.
Angelfish- Would be good in a 29.
ID SHARKS- HELL FRICKING NO! These grow to over 3' and need huge tank.
Balas- Ok for little while need to be upgraded.
Discus and gouramis- need special water conditions.
Channel Cats- Will grow up to 4'
Knifefish no on all species!
Flagtails no!
Redhooks no!

fishbreeder 02-18-2011 06:12 PM

alex i was thinking as a temporary

1stAquarium 02-18-2011 06:15 PM

LOL thought not. Wouldn't angelfish be attacked by my ruby shark?

So any ideas on a few very different, very interesting larger fish? That can live with a large rainbow/ruby shark?

SGDude 02-19-2011 07:59 AM

How big is the ruby shark now?

1stAquarium 02-19-2011 09:09 AM

About 4 inches at a guess.

SGDude 02-19-2011 09:46 AM

Do you like gouramis or rainbows?