Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Cyprinids and Atherinids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cyprinids-atherinids/)
-   -   New Zebra Loach (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cyprinids-atherinids/new-zebra-loach-62838/)

britnyjackson 02-16-2011 12:15 AM

New Zebra Loach

11 Attachment(s)
I just got a new zebra loach today. It's super cute. I have to admit that the real reason why I got it is because I was unaware that the snails I have are asexual and are procreating like nobody's business...anyway here are some pics. of the loach and snails....

Lupin 02-16-2011 01:42 AM

I don't like to advise keeping only one loach. That loach needs companions. Keep 5 minimum.

britnyjackson 02-16-2011 09:54 AM

Thanks, the guy at the lfs told me that one is fine. I hate how they give the wrong info. I have a 29 gal, with 6 harlequen rasboras and 6 neon tetras, and 5 cory's. Do I have room for 4 more loaches? Id love to get more, they are super cute and fun to watch!

underh2o 02-16-2011 10:12 AM

Nice tank!! Good pics too... Jack

Byron 02-16-2011 02:30 PM

Lupin is absolutely correct. Kept singly, a loach may often slowly demise. This fish is highly social, they need a group of at least 5 and they have a high social structure within it. They communicate, they play, they interact constantly.

And yes, you have space, fortunately this species is not large. You can find out more in our profile, click on the shaded name Zebra Loach.

Byron.

aunt kymmie 02-16-2011 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Byron (Post 592056)
Lupin is absolutely correct. Kept singly, a loach may often slowly demise. This fish is highly social, they need a group of at least 5 and they have a high social structure within it. They communicate, they play, they interact constantly.

And yes, you have space, fortunately this species is not large. You can find out more in our profile, click on the shaded name Zebra Loach.

Byron.

+1. They don't get that large and are lots of fun. I have a group of six and they are constantly on the go, circling each other, chasing each other. The best thing about these loaches (other than that they stay small) is they keep all their rough housing amongst themselves, they do not bother any of my other fish. Some of the other fish currently be kept with my zebras are tiny inch long juvenile dwarf cichlids and peaceful sedate little otos. The zebras only bother each other, lol. I vote for you getting four more!! :-)

britnyjackson 02-16-2011 05:21 PM

Omg yay guys! Thanks sooo much for the help! You guys rock! Ill post more pics when I get the new group. Oh I forgot to say, I have 3 adf's also. Will it still b ok?
Posted via Mobile Device

Lupin 02-16-2011 06:28 PM

Yes, it's fine.

britnyjackson 02-17-2011 02:39 AM

11 Attachment(s)
Ok so I bought 3 more....will get a 5th soon, just dont want to throw my perameters off completely. All of you were absolutely right, they are super social and hilarious! Thanks for the info all!! As promised....more pics

Lupin 02-17-2011 03:52 AM

They're darn cute! Glad you didn't buy the likes of skunk loaches. God...I would hate to hear you telling me your fish got their heads chopped off because of the skunk loaches. Those skunks may be cute but they're extremely nasty fish. A lot of people think they fit community setups perfectly because of their cute looks. I made that mistake resulting in a couple headless yoyo loaches.:sob: