Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Green Water (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/green-water-62828/)

Jwest 02-15-2011 10:27 PM

Green Water

My water has been green for the past month and I can't get it to clear up. It was planted till I took out all the plants and kept the lights off. Thinking if it was algae it would die out. No success. Then I did a huge water change of about 75% cleared up for a couple days somewhat but has struck again. Any solutions or ideas?

cmc29 02-15-2011 10:42 PM

are you running carbon in your filter?

Jwest 02-16-2011 06:16 PM

yeah. I am. I've replaced it a couple times and no change

Lupin 02-16-2011 09:03 PM

Eh...Algae is algae. Carbon is not one of those guaranteed solutions to eliminate them.

1. Blackout method.
2. Fast growing plants to outcompete for nutrients.
3. UV sterilizers.

I'm not going to recommend algaecides as dead algae can undergo advanced stage of decomposition cutting off the oxygen levels and elevating ammonia dangerously sickening and killing all your fish in the process. Copper-based treatments will also prove detrimental to all invertebrates and invertebrates foul easily thus sickening and killing your fish as well.

If you have too much lighting, cut it back. If your tank is exposed to sunlight, stop exposing it to sunlight to minimize algal bloom.

SGDude 02-16-2011 10:06 PM

I had the same problem a few years ago.

I went out of town for 4 days and the automatic feeder was on.

When I came back the tank was clear, all better.

The automatic feeder didn't run at all and didn't feed one flake.

Feed less food, try it.

If that's not your problem please ignore.

Jwest 02-16-2011 11:23 PM

I'm thinking some floating plants may not be a bad idea. I'll try to go easy on the feeding as well. I haven't cleaned the substrate. would that help?

Knifegill 02-17-2011 12:35 AM

You haven't cleaned the substrate? As in today or as in this week? What are your nitrates at?

One aquarist beat green water with willow branches planted emergent in the tank. I now use them in the nitrate battle in my main tank. If nitrates are above 20ppm, you could try something like pothos or willow branches to curb the nutrient surplus.

Jwest 02-17-2011 10:53 PM

I have some cottonwood? I imagine it's pretty absorbant. I'll give that a shot after I test it. Thanks for the idea.

jovanoty 02-18-2011 01:23 AM

Try UV sterilizers, for 100$ you can get good one, will help you not only for the Green Water.!

Jwest 02-18-2011 11:27 AM

I really don't want to pay that right now. thats how much the whole tank was lol