Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater and Tropical Fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/)
-   -   Horse Face Loaches (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/horse-face-loaches-62759/)

Plumkin 02-14-2011 10:38 PM

Horse Face Loaches

So today I went to my LFS to buy some meds for my sick columbian tetras they got ICK on them those silly turds.. and then of course I run to the fist first and stare at all the tanks I know when they get there shimpments in every 2 weeks on a weds and today I saw these adorable loaches !! I WAS LIKE OMG they were 11.25 so I glady bought one he was swimming super fast and jumping through the gravel like some sorta sand worm you see in a cartoon movie then i went to eat and i was thinking he needs a friend so i went back while the food was being cooked and bought the other one! :-) He wasn't happy the owners had to syphon the tank and dig out the gravel took like 15 mins to catch the stinker now there in my tank dug way in the gravel hell who knows if ill ever see them again :roll: I'm really hoping they will breed one day so i can let you all have one :)

Lupin 02-14-2011 10:40 PM

It's hard to breed loaches. Horsefaced loaches need sand. They love to burrow so I would not deprive them that.

Plumkin 02-14-2011 10:45 PM

i dont think ill get them sand it wouldn't work out with my set up they burry really well in thegravel i have

Lupin 02-14-2011 10:47 PM

Ahh...Thought your gravel may be coarse that they can't burrow underground anytime they want.

1077 02-14-2011 11:14 PM

I Hope the Columbian tetra's are being treated in hospital tank and that loaches are in quarantine tank. I would not add fish to a tank that was being treated with medications. Loaches in particular are quite sensitive to many medications especially those used for treating Ich.
If you observed ICH on theColumbian tetra's in the 75 gal, then the whole tank will need to be treated and any new fishes should be placed in quarantine to prevent re-infestation, or to protect them from application of meds . Do remove carbon from filter if using medications and replace it with new carbon after treatment period is over.

Plumkin 02-15-2011 12:38 AM

I have put my tetras in the hospital tank i wouldn't leave them with all my other fish to get sick thank you for the info :)

1077 02-15-2011 01:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Plumkin (Post 590917)
I have put my tetras in the hospital tank i wouldn't leave them with all my other fish to get sick thank you for the info :)

This is good news. As I was trying to explain ,if ICH affects even one fish in the aquarium, then all fishes in that system have been exposed and treatment of the whole tank becomes necessary or ICH will be present and can affect all fishes in the tank repeatedly.
So if ICH was present on the Columbians in the 75 gal, then all fishes will have been exposed and 75 gal would need to be treated to kill off the parasite.Simply moving the affected ones does not prevent parasite from affecting others .
Always good to quarantine new fishes for a couple weeks before introducing them to your tank lest they be carriers of pathogens unknown and inturn,, infect otherwise healthy fish.

Lupin 02-15-2011 02:11 AM

Make it four weeks quarantine. Some parasites have a life cycle spanning four weeks and up.

Grimmjow 02-15-2011 06:15 AM

What temp is your tank at?

Plumkin 02-15-2011 02:48 PM

75-78 i had it to 82 was killing all my plants s had it turn it down