Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   How do I cycle ten gallon (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/how-do-i-cycle-ten-gallon-62699/)

Christople 02-14-2011 09:36 AM

How do I cycle ten gallon

I plan on using some large rocks to help and as a decoration. I will also use some hornwort of a plant from the main tank. It will be a heavily planted tank. Would I by like one danio and feed it for a bit. Can I put plants in the first day when I also buy the danio. I will set it up on monday for I need some substrate. please tell me how to cyle it

1077 02-14-2011 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Christople (Post 590105)
I plan on using some large rocks to help and as a decoration. I will also use some hornwort of a plant from the main tank. It will be a heavily planted tank. Would I by like one danio and feed it for a bit. Can I put plants in the first day when I also buy the danio. I will set it up on monday for I need some substrate. please tell me how to cyle it

Would use the rocks,the plant (s) from your already cycled tank, and some filter material or a cup full of gravel from the already cycled tank. Can put the gravel in a mesh bag or section of ladies nylon and remove it after a couple weeks.Can put plant's in any time and I would add as many as I could afford.
Most of the good bacteria that you need, will be found in the filter so removing no more than half the filter material from your alreaqdy cycled tank and placing it in the ten gal will give the tank a good jumpstart on establishing it's bacterial colony.you could add two or three small danios with right amount of seed material from your already cycled tank.

Guppie luver 02-14-2011 10:50 AM

withthe tank i did that with my 20 and i still lost my starter fish so i would just get them to cycle and good luck with the tank

Christople 02-14-2011 06:11 PM

what is seed material

Lupin 02-14-2011 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1077 (Post 590129)
Would use the rocks,the plant (s) from your already cycled tank, and some filter material or a cup full of gravel from the already cycled tank. Can put the gravel in a mesh bag or section of ladies nylon and remove it after a couple weeks.Can put plant's in any time and I would add as many as I could afford.
Most of the good bacteria that you need, will be found in the filter so removing no more than half the filter material from your alreaqdy cycled tank and placing it in the ten gal will give the tank a good jumpstart on establishing it's bacterial colony.you could add two or three small danios with right amount of seed material from your already cycled tank.

I agree with him. ^^^

Christople 02-14-2011 06:27 PM

okay