Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   I have two quick questions (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/i-have-two-quick-questions-6266/)

Tycoon 06-02-2007 03:32 PM

I have two quick questions

1.) When they say a fish is hardy or very hardy, what do they mean?

2.) When a fishless cycling is finished with 0 ammonia and nitrite, do I still keep adding drops of ammonia each day until I get some fish?

Enzo 06-02-2007 04:29 PM

#1 hardy means they can put up with alot of conditions other fish cant like dianos

#2 do u have another cycled tank cuz if u do u dont need any drop of amonia just add water and all the gross "stuff" from the gravel and a mesh bag filled with gravel to your uncycled tank and your tank will cycle in just over a week

Tycoon 06-02-2007 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Enzo
#2 do u have another cycled tank cuz if u do u dont need any drop of amonia just add water and all the gross "stuff" from the gravel and a mesh bag filled with gravel to your uncycled tank and your tank will cycle in just over a week

not really but I might be able to get some from my lfs

Lupin 06-02-2007 10:09 PM

Re: I have two quick questions

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tycoon
1.) When they say a fish is hardy or very hardy, what do they mean?

Fish is tolerant of various water conditions and will be able to tolerate small traces of ammonia and nitrites but do not expect them to survive for long because the ammonia and nitrites are likely to subject them to permanent damage.
Quote:

n a fishless cycling is finished with 0 ammonia and nitrite, do I still keep adding drops of ammonia each day until I get some fish?
No.

mHeinitz57 06-10-2007 04:04 PM

actually you will have to keep adding ammonia to the tank for fishless cycling. Bacteria forms in your tank to meed the bio load of your tank. If no more ammonia is present than there is nothing for the bacteria to feed off of and they will die off. Personally i'm not a huge fan of fishless cycling but if you were to stop adding ammonia for a whole week, the bacteria count will probably diminish to nothing. You could also add a little bit of fish flake each day too and that will break down into ammonia.

Hardiness just means their ability to cope with a wide arrange of perameters. For instance, danios are very hardy fish and often used to cycle tanks. They will usually survive through the whole cycle period even when no water changes were done. They can also withstand broader temperature changes as well. On the other side, scaleless catfish and loaches are less hardy because they have a "skin" rather than scales to protect them. They are more sensitive to temperature changes and chemical extremes.

xingumike 06-11-2007 08:36 AM

yeah sorry lupes but the bacteria still need a source of food (ammonia)

fish aren't a huge fan of cycling with fish.

mHeinitz57 06-11-2007 09:33 AM

depends on how you cycle the tank with fish in it. Most people get impatient and throw a bunch of fish in there at once. If you only to a few hardy fish at once (1-2 per 10 gallons) then they ammonia builds up slow enough for bacteria to begin colonizing before the ammonia spikes to dangerous levels. Same goes for Nitrite. Especially if you use a bacteria starter, you can get a very smooth transaction through the whole cycle. I'm not saying fishless cycling is bad, I would just rather see a few fish swimming around than be adding drops of ammonia in daily. If done right, the fish are completely safe.

xingumike 06-11-2007 09:55 AM

Valid point, well made.

The problem i think generally is people don't follow that mantra and just chuck a load of fish in because the have heard the danios for example are hardy which leads to the 'help why are my fish dying' threads. If i consumed urine/faeces in small amounts it wouldn't kill me but i'm pretty sure i wouldn't enjoy it.

Imo an impatient aquarist is a poor one which is why i would rather see people fishless cycle, understand the science behind it and whilst the tank is cycling research their stocking so its suitable to their set up (see the common plecos, gibbys, BGK's etc etc in unsuitable tanks on this forum).

mHeinitz57 06-11-2007 10:03 AM

lol, the fish aren't consuming urine and feces when bacteria hasn't built up. But yeah, I see your point. That reminds me of a funny story though, I heard of a kid cycling his tank by peeing in it daily. I definitely wouldnt suggest that but it is funny...wonder how the fish did. Working at a fish store, it drives me nuts when people want to stock their tank completely the first day they buy it. If i'm working there is a limit to what I will sell them but people always come back a week later wondering why their 12 neon tetras died off in their new 10 gallon tank. I've never had a bad cycle in my fish experience but I admire your want to do it fishless and it is a good option.