Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Cichlids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/)
-   -   african lake ciclids and bloodworm (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/african-lake-ciclids-bloodworm-6263/)

daisycutter 06-02-2007 02:29 PM

african lake ciclids and bloodworm

is it true that feeding bloodworm or tubifex to african lake ciclids can cause bloat?ive avoided feeding these items to either my shell dwellers and julies is it true?

Lupin 06-02-2007 11:00 PM

Re: african lake ciclids and bloodworm

Quote:

Originally Posted by daisycutter
is it true that feeding bloodworm or tubifex to african lake ciclids can cause bloat?ive avoided feeding these items to either my shell dwellers and julies is it true?

Yes. Excessive proteins can but this applies mostly on mbunas with the exception of labidochromis and melanochromis. Your Tanganyikans will be alright.

Mbunas are predominantly vegetarians therefore their digestive systems are not designed to digest meaty foods or foods containing protein. They need fiber which is found in greens. Haplochromis on the other hand are rather carnivorous hence they can be fed with meaty foods.

daisycutter 06-03-2007 07:51 AM

thanks its one of those things were i had heard without knowing if it was fact or fiction ive been religiusly removeing bloodworms from live food with a pipette :roll:

j.c fishfan 06-05-2007 07:37 AM

I dont mean to contradict you Lupin but the tanganyikans will get bloat aswell as the malawi's :wink:

HTH

Jamie :D

Lupin 06-05-2007 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by j.c fishfan
I dont mean to contradict you Lupin but the tanganyikans will get bloat aswell as the malawi's :wink:

HTH

I'm talking about the protein-based foods which should be fine for them. I'm aware that they do get bloat.:)

SKAustin 06-06-2007 06:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lupin
Quote:

Originally Posted by j.c fishfan

HTH

I'm talking about the protein-based foods which should be fine for them. I'm aware that they do get bloat.:)

Actually, there are several species of cichlid endemic to Lake Tanganyika that are readily available in the hobby, that should not be fed bloodworms and other protien-based foods. Lets use the abundance of Tropheus varieties as an example. Can we please have our facts straight before we post?

daisycutter 06-07-2007 07:54 AM

thankfully i thoght it better to keep up my current no bloodworm diet than risk it..are tubifex the same sort of compsition? im just trying to give them a well balanced diet

SKAustin 06-07-2007 08:30 AM

I recommend researching the individual species you are keeping and reviewing each of their dietary needs first.

daisycutter 06-07-2007 04:22 PM

my point is the large amount of conjecture in what to feed these fish and the use of the fishes NATURAL diet in books some give a short list that includes tubifex and references to "aqatic worms"

SKAustin 06-08-2007 08:00 PM

I would recommend a varied diet consisting of the Live and Frozen brine, cichlid oriented flake, and algae wafers for most Tanganikan species. Personally, I would avoid the worms all together.