Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   2 rams 1 10 gallon (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/2-rams-1-10-gallon-62625/)

Christople 02-13-2011 04:24 PM

2 rams 1 10 gallon

Hi I have two full grown rams that are paired and I would like to put them in a 10 gallon. I plan on using flourite as a substrate and having it heavily planted or at least planted. I would use the tank to raise the fry. My main qeustion is would the bio load be too much.I perform weekly water changes. Also would it need to be filtered

Christople 02-13-2011 07:26 PM

I will also get one mystery snail or a small pleco... Please any info

Grimmjow 02-13-2011 08:07 PM

10 is too small

PRichs87 02-13-2011 09:25 PM

You couldn't keep a pleco with the rams in that small of a tank. Think about upgrading to a 20 gallon.

Christople 02-13-2011 10:13 PM

well just for a bit and I said a small pleco but a mystery snail would be the thing I would get. Why is the 10 to small if they are the only things in it besides the snail

Christople 02-13-2011 10:18 PM

If I were to get a different type of fish would the plants make it so the need for a filter is gone or would I be still need to put one on

Grimmjow 02-14-2011 12:01 PM

The smallest pleco I know of is a pitbull pleco that gets 2-3 inches. The 10 just isnt enough space for them. Plants dont really eliminate the need for a filter especially in that small of a tank, maybe you could get away with it if you had just a couple small fish and a lot of plants and changed the water frequently.

Byron 02-14-2011 01:15 PM

I have an "experimental" 10g running, sand substrate, full of plants, heated. Originally no filter, no light (it's in a west/southwest facing window). Small fish at the start, 9 Boraras brigittae, 7 Corydoras pygmaeus, 1 dwarf puffer (unexpected arrival with something for another tank), 2 shrimp (also unexpected, came with the pygmy corys). Weekly 40% water change.

After a couple months, I added a sponge filter. Not exactly sure why, there was just something not quite right. Glad I did, it is much clearer now. I removed all the named fish, since I used this tank for my Farlowella fry that need fresh algae and with the window I thought this was the best way to get it. Also added a CF light fixture with 2 10w daylight CF bulbs.

The point of the above story: small fish work in such a setup better than larger. Water quality is one important aspect, but so is the physical space. Rams (I assume you mean the common or blue ram, not Bolivian Ram) should, as noted in our profile, have at a minimum a 24-inch tank, a 15g or 20g. They are territorial fish, the male establishes his territory, and between spawning he might (I say might) take a dislike to the female. She needs somewhere to go out of his sight, and in a 10g that is not going to happen.

I would agree that on their own, a spawning pair in a 10g, well planted, no other fish, would work. But not long-term, and not with other fish.

Plecos are high-end waste factories. A 10g is too small for any species of pleco, in my opinion. Shrimp and snails work better in such small tanks as "scavengers." My 10g now has i don't know how many hundreds of Malaysian livebearing snails. Not sure what they are eating, I add no food to this tank, as the Farlowella fry eat algae and nothing else. The puffer all but eradicated them, but since he left they have reproduced big time.

Lupin 02-14-2011 05:56 PM

I can see a couple mystery snails and cherry shrimps in there.:mrgreen:

Christople 02-14-2011 06:01 PM

I plan on something nice I will figure it out. maybe I will post for instructions