Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Cyprinids and Atherinids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cyprinids-atherinids/)
-   -   Disappearing Danios! (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cyprinids-atherinids/disappearing-danios-62591/)

tah1795 02-13-2011 12:07 PM

Disappearing Danios!
 
I do not know what is going on, I had 5 Leopard Danios and they were doing great, I loved them so much I went and bought 3 more from the same store, for a total of 8.

Now I have them just completely disappearing! There is no body left behind or anything!
I have a lid on my tank, they are not jumping out. I do not think any of the fish in my tank can eat a danio.

:evil: I have four left right now. Any ideas?

leogtr 02-13-2011 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tah1795 (Post 589019)
I do not know what is going on, I had 5 Leopard Danios and they were doing great, I loved them so much I went and bought 3 more from the same store, for a total of 8.

Now I have them just completely disappearing! There is no body left behind or anything!
I have a lid on my tank, they are not jumping out. I do not think any of the fish in my tank can eat a danio.

:evil: I have four left right now. Any ideas?

hi there...your angelfish might be behind all this...they usually have small fish in their menu..

Byron 02-13-2011 01:39 PM

Agree. And another culprit could be the Pictus Catfish, depending upon size. Click the shaded nmae and check out the info on this fish. It also is better in a group, but that means a much larger tank, so leave it alone. But expect fish disappearances.

You also have potential trouble with the Serpae Tetra (Hyphessobrycon eques) in with angelfish. The slow sedate angels with their long fins are a real temptation to fish that are notorious for fin nipping anyway, and while you may not see it now, I can assure you that down the road it is very probable. Even if not, the Serpae send out chemical signals that other fish pick up on, and this alone causes stress. Angels in spite of their aggressiveness as cichlids are still somewhat shy fish, and do not appreciate anything in the tank that they perceive as a possible bully or predator.

Byron.

tah1795 02-13-2011 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by leogtr (Post 589067)
hi there...your angelfish might be behind all this...they usually have small fish in their menu..

The angels are still small and I JUST got them 2 days ago.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Byron (Post 589098)
Agree. And another culprit could be the Pictus Catfish, depending upon size. Click the shaded nmae and check out the info on this fish. It also is better in a group, but that means a much larger tank, so leave it alone. But expect fish disappearances.

You also have potential trouble with the Serpae Tetra (Hyphessobrycon eques) in with angelfish. The slow sedate angels with their long fins are a real temptation to fish that are notorious for fin nipping anyway, and while you may not see it now, I can assure you that down the road it is very probable. Even if not, the Serpae send out chemical signals that other fish pick up on, and this alone causes stress. Angels in spite of their aggressiveness as cichlids are still somewhat shy fish, and do not appreciate anything in the tank that they perceive as a possible bully or predator.

Byron.

The Pictus Catfish was living in my 20 gallon until yesterday, he had his tail bitten off completely and I wanted him to be separated from my other bottom dwellers until it healed. (It healed and now is growing back new fins)

I will watch my serpaes, if there are any problems i will remove them.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:08 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2