Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Cichlids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/)
-   -   Angel Community Tank (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/angel-community-tank-62564/)

smoodgie6 02-13-2011 01:15 AM

Angel Community Tank

I am setting up a 55 gallon, well planted community tank. I've decided on 4 angels as the main fish. This is where my questions arise.

Can corys be kept in groups of 5 or would 6 be better? I know its only one fish but still.

With the corys and the angels, would i be able to keep 2 other schools ( 6 fish) of tetras or only 1?

and finally. What tetras would you recommend?

smoodgie6 02-13-2011 01:19 AM

and another option would be a school of hatchet fish.

Byron 02-13-2011 01:05 PM

In a 55g I would strongly advise five instead of four angels. You have the space, and the interaction within the group will be better and less likely to lead to harassed fish.

On the corys, five of a species works fine. Or if you want more than one species, I would suggest minimum three of each species. You could have for instance 9 corys, 3 of 3 different species, or 12 with 3 of 4 species, or 10 with 5 and 5.

And I would definitely recommend shoaling fish from the characins (tetra and hatchetfish are characins). Angels can be skittish, and having other "peaceful" tankmates usually settles them. You don't want active swimmers in with the quiet sedate angels; nor aggressive fish (some characins can be nasty fin nippers and the angel is too much of a temptation).

Species in what is called the Rosy Tetra clade from the genus Hyphessobrycon work quite well; they are peaceful, quiet, not active swimmers, and colourful. Do you know about our Profile section, second tab from the left in the blue bar across the top of the page? In there, select "Order by scientific name," choose Characins, and go through the Hyphessobrycon species to see what you like. These are all rather round, disk-shaped fish, which complement the angels wonderfully. The longer pencil-shaped tetra are generally not so good as many of them are small enough to be considered food for angels especially when full grown, and at 6 inches an angel can easily swallow a neon tetra for example.

Hatchetfish work well too. I would suggest the Carnegiella genus, but not the Pygmy Hatchetfish. Carnegiella marthae, or the more colourful (in terms of pattern) Marble Hatchetfish, Carnegiella strigata. Both are in the profiles, click on the shaded name. The other larger hatchetfish will also work but in my view they are not so interesting; the Silver Hatchetfish for instance, also in the profiles. A group of 9+ is best with hatchets; you can have C. marthae and C. strigata together, in which case 7-8 of each species. These do better the larger the group.

You mention plants, very good with angels. And floating plants are excellent at calming them and shading the tank, since angels naturally come from very dim waters and do not like bright light. Hatchetfish also do better around floating plants.

Byron.

smoodgie6 02-13-2011 06:43 PM

thanks a lot for the info. So with hatchets, a school of tetras, corys, and angels, would adding 2-3 bolivian rams be overstocking.

Byron 02-14-2011 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smoodgie6 (Post 589452)
thanks a lot for the info. So with hatchets, a school of tetras, corys, and angels, would adding 2-3 bolivian rams be overstocking.

It depends upon the number of hatchets and tetra. Thinking along the lines of 5 angels, 9-15 hatchetfish, and a shoal of 7-9 of one of the Hyphessobrycon tetra, a single or pair of Bolivian Ram would be OK from the aspect of bioload. But you have to be careful with cichlids, even rams.

As noted in our profile, this fish does fine singly. Or in a pair; but differentiating male/female in young fish is almost impossible. Once they age a bit, their behaviours (more than their outward differences) can clue you in to sex. And they should be acquired at the same time, as indeed must angels. Never add a second cichlid to one that has been in the tank alone for a time. The "newcomers" usually get harassed, and may well die. I speak from experience with Rams.

smoodgie6 02-14-2011 04:22 PM

sorry for so many questions but stocking is a little unclear for me. would the bioload still be okay if i added 5-6 corys

Byron 02-14-2011 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smoodgie6 (Post 590339)
sorry for so many questions but stocking is a little unclear for me. would the bioload still be okay if i added 5-6 corys

Yes, or even more. Previously I suggested 9-12 corys, minimumn of 3 of each species you get, or 5 each of 2 species, whatever. With the others fine. It was the Bolivians I was cautioning against, as much for their temperament as anything else.