Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Livebearers (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/livebearers/)
-   -   Care and feeding of surprise platy fry? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/livebearers/care-feeding-surprise-platy-fry-62555/)

Ponyo 02-12-2011 10:23 PM

Care and feeding of surprise platy fry?

A strange turn of events. I set up a 5-gallon aquarium for my mystery snail this past week because fish in my main tank were picking on him. Unfortunately, it was too late for Mr. Snail and he died before I could introduce him to his new home. I was really sad, but decided that as long as I had the small tank set up, I should put something in there. I love platies, so I brought a couple female bumble bees home and woke up to surprise fry this morning. I separated the adults into the main tank and am hoping I can raise the fry in the little 5-gallon. I am just wondering what to feed them. I tried some small flakes of fish food, but the babies ignored them. There may be algae living on the plants, but I don't know if they will eat that or not. Also, I have concerns about raising these youngsters in an uncycled tank. I am testing water daily with the API kit and was already planning for water changes. I can't imagine they will produce much of a bioload, but I am concerned. Anyone else ever have to deal with something like this??

Christople 02-13-2011 11:01 AM

For food I suggest hikari fist bites. I have a small batch of guppy fry and I am feeding them that. They chow down like no ones business. I don't know about the fry in a new tank

jimtuc 02-13-2011 12:26 PM

mine ate wordley's shrimp pellets. They crush easily pinching them with your fingers. I also crushed flakes with a penny in the lid.

Christople 02-13-2011 01:04 PM

I have done that before but I used a spoon

Ponyo 02-13-2011 05:42 PM

Thank you for all the helpful suggestions. I couldn't get out to the store to buy First Bites, so I crushed flakes today. Most of the little ones seemed to go for it. I do have some left over shrimp pellets from my snail, so I'll give those a try too.

Christople 02-13-2011 07:29 PM

Good luck

julem35 02-16-2011 04:54 PM

Hey!! Story of my life!!! Surprise fry from guppies alllllll the time. That should be a fine setup, make sure that your flakes are extra small. Live plants are awesome for babies! Do water changes alot and I have gone to petsmart and asked for those little tiny brown snails that live in the live plants tank, they will usually give you around 2. Those are great buds for fr, and keep it clean too! Sponge filters are VERY helpful. VERRRYYYY. Message me if you have any more questions, I can probably answer them. I have been raising guppies for about six years, I LOVE them. Good Luck to you!!

Christople 02-17-2011 10:50 PM

I have about 12 fry in a breeder net

julem35 02-18-2011 05:07 PM

depending on the size, the fry can become over crowded and die, but if its big enough you shouldnt have a problem.

fishbreeder 02-18-2011 05:30 PM

u can message me with any questions i used to breed all kinds of livebeareers i have 4 prego platies i almost brought back the ocelot guppy but then haad a tank crash and lost all my progress since then i gave up and what i was crossing was dark colored variegated guppys and snakeskin guppys and feeder guppies u cross those u should start getting close ok juliem