Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Off Topic Discussions (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/off-topic-discussions/)
-   -   Whats up with the IMVU ads? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/off-topic-discussions/whats-up-imvu-ads-62547/)

Blaxicanlatino 02-12-2011 09:08 PM

Whats up with the IMVU ads?

They kinda have a sexual tone to them dont ya think? Afraid to open up the site with my family in the room :S :oops:

aunt kymmie 02-12-2011 11:48 PM

I haven't seen these ads. Do you have a link??

Blaxicanlatino 02-13-2011 04:03 PM

they come up somtimes on the side and on the top. I think IMVU is some sort of animated social network.

Blaxicanlatino 04-26-2011 05:15 PM

THe IMVU ads are back X( my virgin eyes!

Romad 04-26-2011 08:37 PM

I'm pretty sure it's based on your cookies. If you notice, sites that you have visited will pop up here on the forum (ads).

For example, I bought some artwork and when I log into the forum, I'll see the last 5 or 6 pictures that I viewed on art.com.

And tonight I'm seeing Toyota ads because I've been looking at dealers in NH bc we're in the market for a new car.

aunt kymmie 04-26-2011 09:00 PM

Romad, you're right, the ads are geared to our browsing history. I'm seeing ads for Zappos, graduation gift ideas, and time shares in Costa Rica.
Blaxicanlatino, what ever have you been looking at lately??? :lol::lol::lol:

Mikaila31 04-27-2011 12:49 AM

Apparently none of you use a adblocker:lol:. I don't see any add at all on this forum using my personal computer, but I know what it looks like w/o a adblocker. This is actually the site I use to show people why a adblocker is so helpful. I honestly would not of registered at this forum if I was greeted by all those ads the first time I came here. When logged-in on the homepage there are 14 items blocked, on this page typing this post there are 8 items blocked. I hate ads a lot, IDC what they are for I will block them.

On- This is what I see
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b3...Untitledon.png

Off- what its suppose to look like I guess....? (Looks horrendous to me)
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b3...ntitledoff.png

fish joey 04-27-2011 08:33 AM

how does one obtain and use an adblocker ?

aunt kymmie 04-27-2011 08:59 AM

Mikaila- I'm using AVG 9.0 and I don't see ads within or between the posts, but the ads I do see are off to the right hand of the screen. Since it doesn't break up the posts within threads I don't mind but curious as to why not all ads are blocked for me, just some of them along the side? Also, I don't always see ads on the right hand side of every page of our site that I visit. Odd...???

PS. I see that your ads showing are for Facebook, fancy shoes and gowns. Nice!

Mikaila31 04-27-2011 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aunt kymmie (Post 659802)
Mikaila- I'm using AVG 9.0 and I don't see ads within or between the posts, but the ads I do see are off to the right hand of the screen. Since it doesn't break up the posts within threads I don't mind but curious as to why not all ads are blocked for me, just some of them along the side? Also, I don't always see ads on the right hand side of every page of our site that I visit. Odd...???

PS. I see that your ads showing are for Facebook, fancy shoes and gowns. Nice!

AVG 9.0 is not blocking any ads then. Those ads you mentioned only show if you are not logged in as a member. If you are logged in you will not see those adds regardless of an ad blocker or not. Basically only 'guests' see those. Not all pages on this site seem to have the same ads inserted in the same manner. Some pages do seem to lack the side ads.

As far as the browsing history it is used somewhat. Does not mean the adds are at all relevant to the user. Fancy gowns and shoes are not my style. I have one pair of daily tennies I were to school. A old dirty pair for when I go to work. Then a really crappy pair that looks like they have been run-over repeatedly that I use for kayaking and walking in the water. I don't wear dresses unless something REALLY fancy is going down. I visit facebook maybe twice a week... unless it emails me something.

The university computers get car ads, beauty products/weight loss, and something about dogs...

As far as an adblocker I use Firefox as my browser and have the free adblock plus add-on. Those that insist on using IE are on their own(cuz it sucks). Google chrome also has its own free adblocker. For Firefox you click tools> add-ons> search "adblock plus"> select "adblock plus"> click add to firefox> install now> then restart firefox> it will then prompt you to 'subscribe' to a list. This these are just premade lists that block most ads. If you get lost just google search and there are walkthroughs on installing it. Rarely though you will have a ad pop up. With adblock installed right clicking on any picture or object on a webpage gives you the new option of blocking it. This adds it to the list and you will not see it again. Once its running you have a little stop sign on the upper right of the browser. Click on it gives you options on controlling the adblocker. You can turn it off, or tell it to not block certain pages, ect... It amazing IMO.