Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Livebearers (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/livebearers/)
-   -   my platies get itchy? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/livebearers/my-platies-get-itchy-62534/)

Rip 02-12-2011 07:06 PM

my platies get itchy?

lol that's what it seems like...

i have 3 female platies in a tank, and once in awhile i notice something weird. they'll swim up next to a leaf or a rock, and kind of turn sideways, and then swim so their body rubs up against the object. almost like they're trying to get something off their skin, or they just itch a bit. i assume i'm not the first person to ever notice them do it, but why are they doing this?

catdawg426 02-12-2011 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rip (Post 588481)
lol that's what it seems like...

i have 3 female platies in a tank, and once in awhile i notice something weird. they'll swim up next to a leaf or a rock, and kind of turn sideways, and then swim so their body rubs up against the object. almost like they're trying to get something off their skin, or they just itch a bit. i assume i'm not the first person to ever notice them do it, but why are they doing this?

Sounds like Ick (Ich). Are there any white spots on them (like sand)?

Rip 02-12-2011 07:14 PM

no white spots

catdawg426 02-12-2011 07:15 PM

I've got to go, but I'm sure other people will help you out with this. It can be a pain, but it's fixable (if it's ich). I raised my tank temp to 86 and added daily dosings of quICK cure (you can find it at walmart) and it was all gone in 3 days:-). Good luck!

Lupin 02-12-2011 07:20 PM

Occasional flicking is fine but not frequent. Any other symptoms?

Do NOT treat yet! He said there are no white spots. Then look out for other abnormal symptoms than jump to conclusions and risk killing your fish. Forget the meds first and prioritize watching out for abnormal signs.

catdawg426 02-12-2011 07:27 PM

Ya, doht treat yet. is there anything different with the fish, any thing on it or coating it? sometimes theyll rub and scratch before the white spots appear, so once you see them, id treat the tank. you want to get rid of it as soon as possible
Posted via Mobile Device

Rip 02-12-2011 07:29 PM

i'm not gonna do anything. i wasn't suggesting that i thought they were sick, cuz none of the fish in my tank act sick, or look sick, including the platies. i just thought it was peculiar behavior, and was curious to why they do it. that's good that occasional flicking is fine, cuz it's only occasional. i only wondered if anyone knew why they occasionally "flick".

one bloodfin tetra has a white spot on it's back, but he's had it since i got him several weeks ago. it looks like a scar to me. and he doesn't act weird, and no other fish have gotten white spots since then.

i noticed the platies doing it a few weeks back, but then not at all until just today again. and they're not constantly doing it or anything. (and i observe them on a daily basis)

Lupin 02-12-2011 07:32 PM

Scars are quite possible with fish. Flicking is caused by silt irritation usually especially if you are using sand.

Ponyo 02-12-2011 09:27 PM

I've had platies do this in the past and I'm starting to think argonite sand in my tank is the culprit. In one case I had a platy flicking off leaves right before she gave birth too. Please don't jump the gun and treat for Ich unless you see white spots. I did that once and it was a big mistake, leading to lots of unnecessary stress and death. I think it's better to take the conservative route and keep water free of ammonia and nitrite and monitor PH. Even if there is a parasite, the fish's immune system may be able to overcome it if water is clean and stable.

Rip 02-15-2011 10:11 PM

after observing the platies for the past few days, i see them doing it alot. i have 3 platies in a 55 gallon community tank. their tankmates are...

8 Bloodfin Tetras
6 Zebra Danios
5 Peppered Cories
3 Otos

no other fish have been seen flicking against plant leaves, only the platies. i've looked at every fish, and can't see any white spots, on any of the fish. sometimes if the light hits their body at the right angle, i might see a sparkle in their skin, but nothing looks white to me. only the platies exhibit any strange behavior at this point, but i'll be keeping on eye on things. also, i don't know if this matters, but i just recently converted this to a light to moderately planted tank.