Tropical Fish Keeping banner

Fish fought need help...

2K views 12 replies 4 participants last post by  Calmwaters 
#1 ·
My friend has a 65 gallon tank that houses a irradesent shark, a large pleco, a silver dollar and a schbunkin goldfish (I don't think I spelled that right) I know the schbunkin should probably not be in the tank to begin with but she had them when I met her. Anyway the shark and the schbunkin got in a fight and the shark by far got the worst of it and we are trying to figure out what to do to save him. He has several scratches and is covered in what looks like a fuzz all over his body. He is up right but lays on the bottom of the tank and does not want to eat the fight was night before last and they have been seperated and the schbunkin is doing fine but the shark is her favorite and she is very worried about him. I suggested salt in the water as well as a water change but is there something else she could do?

#3 ·
Yes it suprised me to they are about the same size she is going to rehome the shubunkin I thought about takeing him but not sure how big of a tank I would need. Her ex gave it to her so everytime she sees him she thinks about the ex. She said the scubunkin has a few scales missing and a couple small pieces missing out of his tail but other than that he is swimming and eating fine. The silver dollar is hiding in the corner afraid to come out and the pleco has no idea whats going on as he is happy as long as he get food. LOL

#5 ·
Yes I am sure he will be fine as he is still eating like a horse. LOL I am really worried about her shark though he is her favorite and she has had him for several years and will be heart broken if he does not make it. She was so mad that she said if the schbunkin would of fit down the toilet she would of flushed him luckly I talked her out of that and she is going to see if the LFS near her house will take him and give her store credit for him. If not my brother has a big pond and a little pond with other fish in it and I will see if he wants him for his big pond.

#7 ·
Shocked at the outcome of that battle to say the least :shock:

I've used Melafix very succesfully for wounds but you'll need to research whether sharks will do ok with that med since I have none of those so can't speak from experience.

#8 ·
I find it hard to believe a shubunkin would attack other fish. I've never seen that in my experience. I've kept several goldfish varieties and none can make an unprovoked attack.

#9 ·
She does not know who started it, it happened at night they were all fine when she fed them before bed then she woke up the next morning to the injured fish all she knows is who got the worst end of it. Does no one have any suggestions on what can be done to help the shark? She traded the shubunkin in at the LFS for store credit today like I said he was alot better off than the shark.

#10 ·
Just a teaspoon per gallon of sodium chloride and lots of water changes. You need to separate the shark though and allow it to recover itself before returning to the main tank.

#11 ·
Were can she get sodium chloride? She does not have a seperate tank to put him in so she will have to treat him in the tank.

#12 ·
Sodium chloride is still salt. Just make sure it does NOT contain YPS. There are many kinds of salt so I had to be specific.

#13 ·
Thank you all for your help but he died this morning my friend is really sad.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.