Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Ancient Fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/ancient-fish/)
-   -   Much needed Dinosaur Bichir help please and a few fire eel questions (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/ancient-fish/much-needed-dinosaur-bichir-help-please-62484/)

Shockerz 02-12-2011 02:38 AM

Much needed Dinosaur Bichir help please and a few fire eel questions

My fiance recently got a Dinosaur Bichir to go in our tank, he's only about 5 inches or so right now, but I know he's going to grow. Can anyone give me some tips on what they've found that works best to accomodate a Dino Bichir? Also, what's the minimum tank requirement for them?

On a side note, I've been researching fire eels and was wondering if they could stress themselves to death if their environment isn't well suited for them and what the minimum recommended tank size is for them?
I'm getting a new 45gal next week, and I think that'll be too small, but I want to know what you guys have to say about it.
Thank you!

Grimmjow 02-12-2011 04:11 AM

From what Ive read a 45 is gonna be too small, I read a 55 is the minimum but I wouldnt put a fish that gets 12 inches in a tank thats only 13 inches deep. What other fish do you have? If its small enough to fit in its mouth itll be eaten. And make sure theres no spaces for it to escape on the lid anywhere.

Edit: ^ Was talking about the bichir but Im sure the same applies to the eel

Lupin 02-12-2011 06:01 AM

Is this a senegal bichir? Dels and sens will be absolutely fine in a 30g minimum. Just one only. The bigger, the better as they are fine escape artists. Make sure all holes are covered. As they are predatory, they do appreciate any meaty foods.

As for fire eels, please forget the idea of getting a fire eel. A 3 footer will need a much bigger tank with length spanning 5 feet. If you want an eel, look into peacock eels.

Shockerz 02-12-2011 10:27 PM

Thank you for answering my fire eel question (:

As for the bichir and such...the tank is sealed properly. He's only about 4-6 inches long and not eating the pellets or ghost shrimp. I was thinking of trying worms and maybe cut them up or something? We only plan on having one in bichir, even when we transfer him to the new tank.
I could also use some help on the best way to prepare the new tank for him and the cory catfish that we have, any tips are greatly appreciated.

Lupin 02-13-2011 04:25 AM

What species is your bichir? Give it time. Senegals in particular are easier to feed on commercial foods, shrimps and worms. Chop the worms unless they're small enough to be swallowed.

Shockerz 02-13-2011 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lupin (Post 588848)
What species is your bichir? Give it time. Senegals in particular are easier to feed on commercial foods, shrimps and worms. Chop the worms unless they're small enough to be swallowed.

It's a senegal...or as PetSmart calls it..a dinosaur bichir.

Lupin 02-13-2011 10:13 PM

Call it senegal. It's more precise. Scientific name is Polypterus senegalus.

Awesomeperson231 03-06-2012 11:19 PM

Hey i am thinking of getting a senegal bichir and butterfly fish in a 60 gallon tank. is that a good idea? ;P

Sanguinefox 03-08-2012 09:34 PM

My experience with the Dino Bichirs (or as I call them the Gray Bichir) is that in a 50 gallon LONG they will do fine till they start to reach adult growth (7-8 inches). Then you want to move them over to 75 gallons or more. Length and depth are important. If your tank is too small the younger bichirs can drown because they need to be able to easily surface for a quick gulp of air.

Mine stopped going after flake, pellet, and the frozen blood worm that I find at most pet stores. They will go after ghost shrimp but I've also found they will go after cut up worms. Right now I cut up night-crawlers every other night and drop those in. I vacuum up what ever they don't eat. You can also try cut up live blood worm. If you have a reliable source of good smaller live fish they may also go after that as a source of food.

Stonesy 03-22-2012 06:50 AM

Do you mind if I ask how much you paid for the Bichir?

Thanks in advance
Stonesy