Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   is the aquarium ready for fish? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/aquarium-ready-fish-62456/)

leogtr 02-11-2011 07:53 PM

is the aquarium ready for fish?

hi guys!

0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, 80-100 nitrates in todays readings. should I wait just a bit longer to add fish? should I add them tomorrow? where do fish sleep?

what else should I do before adding them? how big of a water change to decrease the nitrates?(its a 20 gallon tank) any supplements? should I get only males or females? or both? The zebra danios(glofish) are going in first. 3 or 4 to add at a time? what kind of food to start with? Im pretty excited!

thank you for your help!:)

Lupin 02-11-2011 08:12 PM

What test kit did you use?
What is nitrate reading in tap?

leogtr 02-11-2011 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lupin (Post 587735)
What test kit did you use?
What is nitrate reading in tap?

hey lupin!:)

API liquid master test kit and tap water is totally clear of nitrates:)

am I ready for them am I ready???:greenyay:

Lupin 02-11-2011 08:21 PM

Weird how your nitrate rose dangerously. I'd just do another water change until it goes back to less than 20. Then you may add your new fish. Keep testing your nitrate until it is back where it should be.

You don't have to worry where your fish can sleep. They sleep by drifting around the water column. If you start with danios, food is not an issue. They eat just about anything. Try pellets, bloodworms and brine shrimps for a start.

leogtr 02-11-2011 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lupin (Post 587738)
Weird how your nitrate rose dangerously. I'd just do another water change until it goes back to less than 20. Then you may add your new fish. Keep testing your nitrate until it is back where it should be.

You don't have to worry where your fish can sleep. They sleep by drifting around the water column. If you start with danios, food is not an issue. They eat just about anything. Try pellets, bloodworms and brine shrimps for a start.

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU

mr. lupin, you are too kind thanks for those wonderful tips.

so glad the tank finally cycled!!!!!!!!:welldone:

It might have been that the nitrates where that high because I cycled the aquarium with raw shrimp...do you think so?

Lupin 02-11-2011 08:31 PM

Or you didn't do water changes in time that it elevated that high but no worries, water changes will quickly reduce it.

leogtr 02-11-2011 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lupin (Post 587746)
Or you didn't do water changes in time that it elevated that high but no worries, water changes will quickly reduce it.

right right...how many should I add? males females? or both?

Lupin 02-11-2011 08:46 PM

They're not too bothered with their numbers.lol You can start with 3-4. Doesn't matter how many males and females you end up with. They'll eventually spawn too much especially if your tank is heavily planted.

leogtr 02-11-2011 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lupin (Post 587759)
They're not too bothered with their numbers.lol You can start with 3-4. Doesn't matter how many males and females you end up with. They'll eventually spawn too much especially if your tank is heavily planted.

so its ok to have just ladies for now? ill add gentlemen later..

Lupin 02-11-2011 08:57 PM

There isn't really an issue with gender ratios. Females do tend to be more plump though so it's easy to identify them.