Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Fish Breeding (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/fish-breeding/)
-   -   When can i move Fry? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/fish-breeding/when-can-i-move-fry-62455/)

Skunkmang 02-11-2011 08:48 PM

When can i move Fry?

I have a 50 Gallon and a 10 Gallon both established and both are very close in parameters,

In my 50 gallon my Molly had fry about 3 days ago and i saved 5 and they are in a breeder trap

In my 10 Gallon i have a whole bunch of Guppy fry in various stages of life that i inherited with my new(to me) 50 gallon that were living in the filter

My question is this: how much risk is there if i move the 5 Molly Fry over to the 10 gallon to live with the Guppies till they are big enough to go back with the bigger ones? because from what i understand raising them in the trap will stunt their growth.

OR should i just let them free now that they are a few days old and a little quicker on their fins and i do have good cover for them to hide in just nothing floating for them

I know they are mollies and they will drop fry a lot but the breeding of fish is new to me and i want to try to save a few

Ma xiong 02-12-2011 11:46 PM

use a breeding trap or a 3-5 gallon tank to raise them
don't put them with the guppies or they'll get eaten
a trap will only stunt there growth if there is alot of frys in it

Skunkmang 02-13-2011 10:08 AM

guppy tank has fry about 15 fry the same size as these mollies in it and they are to big to be eaten by the biggest guppy in there. i read a post in these forums about stunt growth hormones the fry excrete.

I found another fry last night that was trying to get into the net, he has been out of the net for 4 days and is almost 1/2 times bigger than the other 5 fry.

Ma xiong 02-22-2011 08:11 PM

u can also use a breeding net which is abit better then the breeding trap
and it grows faster cuz the parents or adults release a hormone or chemical tat speeds the growth of the fry

Christople 02-22-2011 08:39 PM

how long does it take for fry to get color

Andarial 02-22-2011 11:58 PM

I'm not sure with mollies but some of my guppies had black on them and it took them only about a week and a half or two weeks, while my other guppies who were lighter in color became colored at around 5-6 weeks of age, hopefully this helps

Christople 02-23-2011 06:57 PM

my guppies are are about 2 weeks old and the black is showing up... but i meant like full yellow and orange and sstuff like that

Guppie luver 02-23-2011 07:56 PM

i have guppies that breed like crazy and thay get color in like 2-3 months depending on the color of the parents

Christople 02-23-2011 10:40 PM

okay thank you

1077 02-24-2011 12:54 AM

I would not keep pregnant females or fry in breeder nets,traps,etc, all it does is stress the fish.
placing some floating plant's either live,or artificial on the surface will provide the fry with safe place to lay low and also to feed from. Some may get eaten but many will survive and given that livebearer's reproduce like rabbit's,,you will have way more fishes than you want without extra precautions with respect to fry.
Would not keep adult mollies and guppies together due to aggression issues and possible cross breeding but keeping the fry of both together assuming they are similar size,would pose no worries for me.