Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Cichlids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/)
-   -   need more fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/need-more-fish-62268/)

itsfit 02-09-2011 10:00 AM

need more fish

Newbie here the fish tank we have is in the lobby at work I started to take care of it a little while ago the tank size about 20g or more but not more that 25g we had only one fish left when I started to take care of it. The fish was a convect cichlid so I bought two more. Well the older one past away he was about 8yrs old now I just have the two left,what kind of tank mates will work here?? what kind of alge eater is there? Oh the plants started to die off. this happened before I compleatly changed the rock and replaced all the rocks and filter mediums. Thanks in advance

itsfit 02-14-2011 09:18 AM

thanks for all the help worst forum ever

Guppie luver 02-14-2011 10:59 AM

ok ok i think maby u need to get more plants and find out what kinda fish u want if i was u i would ditch the convict chiclids and go for guppies or plats or danios or all of them because they are very easy trust me

Byron 02-14-2011 12:52 PM

My sources recommend convict cichlids in a species tank, that is, on their own. They can be very belligerent with even larger fish. In a very large tank, say 5-6 feet in length, other medium Central American cichlids could manage, but not in something as small as a 20g.

Are you sure the tank is only 20g? What are the dimensions. A 20g is normally 24 inches long, and that is not adequate housing for 2-3 convicts. A 3-foot long tank is minimum for their health long-term.

I'm sorry other members haven't responded yet, I guess the chiclid aficionados are not around presently.

Byron.

clayton1169 02-17-2011 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by itsfit (Post 590092)
thanks for all the help worst forum ever

I would get rid of the convicts and go with more community fish you will be able to have more of a variety that way

itsfit 02-23-2011 09:47 AM

By ditch you mean trade them at a pet store don't you

1077 02-23-2011 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by itsfit (Post 599352)
By ditch you mean trade them at a pet store don't you

If you can find one that will take them.:lol:

sovrappensiero 02-23-2011 11:52 AM

You may be able to trade them with another species at the pet store where you bought them. Just explain that you didn't realize that two convicts can't be kept in a 20 gallon tank and don't want the poor little guys to suffer. If the fish store is decent, they should be willing to trade you. Especially if you trade down (as in, you're losing money in the trade...but to have a better fit for the tank is more important in the long run).

Sorry you didn't get answers right away. The people here are really helpful though, so it's worth the wait you sometimes have to endur to get answers/suggestions. :-)

I'm sorry the initial fish died, but it does give you a chance to "start over"! Invest in a test kit if you don't already have one, and check out the parameters before you add fish (i.e. change the fish you have). You said you're a newbie...so a good place to start might be to read up on tank cycling which will give you a basic feel for water chemistry and how fish and plants affect one another in a closed system (i.e. in a tank as opposed to a river). This is just my opinion, but I feel that including a moderate amount of plants in your tank is a good idea, especially when the tank is small. You don't need to go all out and buy super-lamps and carbon dioxide - just check out Byron's tanks he has a bunch of planted tanks with no added CO2. My experience has been that a planted tank is more "stable" than one without plants because the plants convert some of the bast sutff (ammonia, nitrates) into not-so-bad stuff for your fish. You still have to do water changes, especially if you have a large number of fish (because the plants only convert so much ammonia and nitrates).

Another suggestion I have is two stick with fish that stay small and are what are known as "peaceful community fish". These include tetras, corydoras catfish, rasboras, danios, some gouramis (but some get quite large), livebearers (eg. guppies, mollies, platies) and others I'm probably missing as well. Any kind of fish with a territorial streak in a tank that small could spell chaos for you, unless he's buy himself. For example, you could probably keep a school of tetras (pretty much any kind) and a 4-6 corydoras in a planted tank of that size without a problem. If you want big, territorial fish (that means most cichlids), you're going to need to invest in a bigger tank.

Wow that was a mouthful. Someone chime in to correct me if any of this is wrong...I don't consider myself an expert, just an enthusiast, and I often rely on the knowledge of others on the forum, especially Byron (because he's the most active low-tech planted tank guru on this forum I think).

I hope some of this helps, and I hope we can change your opinion about the forum. :-) Please keep us posted on what you decide to do.

itsfit 02-25-2011 07:29 AM

thanks for the help the guys I have now grew fast the first four the that were here live to be eight yrs old. I hope I can trade them. they are about three inches long and eat good,and look healthy

Christople 02-25-2011 08:06 PM

Rams look good in a twenty but only one pair and you might get babies... 20 is too small for most cichlids... I do suggest community like guppies and mollies. Again with the babies, but most should get eaten depending on the cover provided.Before we suggest more fish test your waters and tell us what they are and then we will be able to make more progress