Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Catfish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/catfish/)
-   -   Multiple groups of cory? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/catfish/multiple-groups-cory-62264/)

LasColinasCichlids 02-09-2011 06:05 AM

Multiple groups of cory?

So, I currently have a small group of habrosus cory (had 5, one died yesterday, so now just 4), and they are pretty small all about 1/2" (the smallest was the one that died, he was about 1/4"!).

I love my little cories, but in my tank (29 gal) that is a lot of space for 4 itty bitty cory, and I have to strain to see them, and want to add a group of about 5 albino cory later this evening.

I would imagine that it would not be an issue having two groups of different cory, but I just wanted to post and make sure no one has ever had issues before...especially with the mixing of a practically standard size breed of cory to a miniture size of cory.

Would love it if someone on here has every had the habrosus and added another larger group of cory to the same tank and has a story to share.

I love my habrosus, and after losing one I dont want to lose another!!

By the way, the death of the one was either it was not well upon leaving the lfs 4 days ago, as I bought from the other aquarium store than I have in the past. Or, it got stuck, as I found it pinned between my log decor and the gravel and had to dig it out to flush.

tanker 02-09-2011 06:18 AM

have 7 cory habrosus and 5 cory trilineatus in my 165-litre. I've never had any issues. My little cories don't seem to bother anyone.

1077 02-09-2011 06:48 AM

Have seen albino Cory's at nearly four inches.Ii was actually shocked to find that they could get that large.Personally,,I would go with Julii which stay relatively small or false juliii for same reason.

LasColinasCichlids 02-09-2011 06:59 AM

1077...The julii are usually more expensive, and I plan on 5, another reason I was going with albino. I have never personally seen them larger than 3" myself, but I have heard of them getting larger, as with any fish i would assume growth can be exceeded with proper care. I would love a julii, I will for sure check my lfs and see what they have in and if they have any good prices on them. After all, I got my habrosus for only 2.99 a piece.

And Tanker, it is nice to hear of someone with the experiance regarding this, thank you for sharing.

ginagv 02-10-2011 02:53 PM

I have 2 species of cories in my 55 gallon and will be adding a 3rd species soon.. They all get along great, with no aggression ever.

Gina

jcinnb 02-13-2011 10:46 AM

I have a 55.

My initial order was for:
6 elegans
6 julii (later found they are 3 lined--but they look the same)
6 pandas

I also have an upside down guy who keeps to himself.

Only 2, 3 lined made it, and I got two extra pandas so for a two or so months I had

2 3 lined
6 elegans
8 pandas

no problems at all.

Over time I have now lost one elegan and one panda and one 3 lined, so today (I hope)
1 3 lined
5 elegans
7 pandas

The elegans have grown like crazy, there are a couple pushing three inches. The pandas have grown thick and fat, but not real long. There appears to be no problem with any of them. The 3 lined swims with the pandas sometimes, and sometimes the elegans. Seems like pandas shoal at about 5..don't know if I have two loners, or if it changes, but rarely see all of them in same area.

I would not hesitate for a second mixing types of cories. I love the three lined the most of all...their eyes seem the most expressive.

jcinnb 02-13-2011 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LasColinasCichlids (Post 585298)
1077...The julii are usually more expensive, and I plan on 5, another reason I was going with albino. I have never personally seen them larger than 3" myself, but I have heard of them getting larger, as with any fish i would assume growth can be exceeded with proper care. I would love a julii, I will for sure check my lfs and see what they have in and if they have any good prices on them. After all, I got my habrosus for only 2.99 a piece.

And Tanker, it is nice to hear of someone with the experiance regarding this, thank you for sharing.

I thought I was buying Julii, but they were 3 lined, sci name: Corydoras trilineatus. One of the experts on the forum, sorted me out and said hardly any Julii are Julii. The Trilineatus look about 99% like Julii and are great. My advice is to forget the julii, and go with the trilineatus...which is probably what you will end up with, anyway.

good luck.

Byron 02-13-2011 11:52 AM

As other members have correctly advised, you can mix the cory species with no real concerns, at least not that I have experienced or read about.

Corydoras habrosus are very problematical for me, I can't keep them long. Corydoras pygmaeus, another of the dwarf species, does better in my tanks. All three of the dwarf species are a bit more demanding at least until they are settled.

There are so many species of cory to select from, we have many in our profiles and there are dozens more. It is good to get five of a species, but if there is more than one species in the tank, three of each works. In your 29g for instaqnce, with the C. habrosus, you could get 3 of 2 other species, or 5 of one. Some of them do prefer their own, others seem to enjoy any cory's company.

Byron.

LasColinasCichlids 02-21-2011 11:16 PM

This past Saturday, I added four small albino cory to my tank...they mixed right in with the habrosus cory and are a big group of 8 happy cory!
Oddly, my small albino rainbow shark seems to think she is related to the albino cory and is always swimming with them and checking on them, and makes sure to keep my nippy tetras away from the cory without hurting the tetras. (Thinking about letting my bff take the tetras for her new 29 gal once it cycles.)
My tank is almost fully stocked for me. I was thinking about adding like 2-3 otos to keep algae on the glass under control since my clown pleco has no desire to be on glass, or even visable, lol.

I have definately fallen in love with corydoras!!! Wish I could keep more, but for my tank size, I dont think it is wise. And my habrosus cory have been doing wonderfully!! They are super cute and are growing nicely, cant wait for them to reach an inch! lol