Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Catfish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/catfish/)
-   -   oto question (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/catfish/oto-question-62231/)

Rip 02-08-2011 07:17 PM

oto question

i have an Oto question as well...

i bought 3 Otos on 01-18, and put them in my 55 gallon tank. i had alot of diatoms, and they've cleaned it up to pretty much nothing. one of them has even moved on to algae wafers in the last few days. before that, all any of them would eat was diatoms. they did a great job. well now it appears my 10 gallon has finished cycling, and also has diatoms, so instead of buying more otos to clean that up, i figured i would just move the three to the 10 gallon for a week or two to get rid of the diatoms, and then move them back to the 55 gallon tank. well the issue with that is the PH level is different in both tanks. in the 55 gallon, the PH is around a 7.4, but in the 10 gallon it's around 8.0. i've read that otos are kind of delicate as far as water parameters go. can they handle the 2 week ride from tank to tank to tank ?

Byron 02-08-2011 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rip (Post 584891)
i have an Oto question as well...

i bought 3 Otos on 01-18, and put them in my 55 gallon tank. i had alot of diatoms, and they've cleaned it up to pretty much nothing. one of them has even moved on to algae wafers in the last few days. before that, all any of them would eat was diatoms. they did a great job. well now it appears my 10 gallon has finished cycling, and also has diatoms, so instead of buying more otos to clean that up, i figured i would just move the three to the 10 gallon for a week or two to get rid of the diatoms, and then move them back to the 55 gallon tank. well the issue with that is the PH level is different in both tanks. in the 55 gallon, the PH is around a 7.4, but in the 10 gallon it's around 8.0. i've read that otos are kind of delicate as far as water parameters go. can they handle the 2 week ride from tank to tank to tank ?

After I respond, Ill move this to a new thread so it isn't buried in another.

You could and it makes sense. But otos are not always easy to catch, and netting fish is stressful. I would prefer letting them stay where they are since it is a new environment (relatively). If there are fine leaf plants in the 10g that need cleaning, it may be worth the risk, but...

LasColinasCichlids 02-09-2011 05:40 AM

I wouldnt do it, that is a big pH jump for them for such a short period of time. How about buying one more oto, let him do his job on your 10 gal, and when he is done acclimate him to the 55 with the others for long term?

aunt kymmie 02-09-2011 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LasColinasCichlids (Post 585271)
I wouldnt do it, that is a big pH jump for them for such a short period of time. How about buying one more oto, let him do his job on your 10 gal, and when he is done acclimate him to the 55 with the others for long term?

I think that's a good idea! But I'd get at least two more, as lone otos don't do as well as when they have each other for company.