Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Planted Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/)
-   -   Product question - 7 watt fluorescents (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/product-question-7-watt-fluorescents-62176/)

LemonSquirtTetra 02-08-2011 11:13 AM

Product question - 7 watt fluorescents

I have a ten gallon tank I am lighting with two Bright Effects 7-watt fluorescent bulbs. I was planning on growing only aquatic moss and other low light plants. Anyone had any experience with these Bright Effects bulbs? If so, what sort of results did you get?

For those not familiar with these bulbs, they are sold at department and hardware stores: Shop Bright Effects 7-Watt Tubular CFL 40-Watt Replacement at Lowes.com

I plan on using two of these to light my tank. The light given off appears a kind of soft white-blue. If that's going to just grow algae then I'll skip plants, although I really would like to grow a crop of Christmas moss.

Byron 02-08-2011 12:20 PM

Welcome to Tropical Fish Keeping forum.

I do not have personal experience with these, but I took a look at the data in that link. On the surface it seems OK, but I would like to know something about the spectrum and kelvin. The writing on the package has an "8000" but I can't make out if this is kelvin or something else. Hopefully someone who has knowledge of this bulb will come along.

Byron.

redchigh 02-08-2011 04:40 PM

Those really aren't proper, their kelvin rating is quite low, between 2000-3000.

You really should try to find 6500k daylight bulbs. Those might work, but they're definately not what you should be using.

LemonSquirtTetra 02-08-2011 09:29 PM

Yeah, I think I'm going to replace the hood and 7 watt bulbs with a glass cover and a 15 watt fluorescent lamp, probably use either a special aquarium plant light or a GE 15-watt full spectrum daylight fluorescent from Wally Word. All I wanna do is grow some moss.

This hood was bought as a gift, but since I'm interested in growing plants, I think I'll trade or sell it in favor of something a little more plant-friendly. I tried putting 15 watt Reveal Daylight fluorescents in the hood but they didn't fit. Oh well.

Thanks for the advise. Anyone with any other suggestions, feel free to comment.

redchigh 02-09-2011 12:49 PM

Well I have an incandescent hood (like yours) and I have no problem finding 10W CFLS at wall mart... Look in the aquarium section.

They're about 5-6 dollars, which isn't bad.

Byron 02-09-2011 01:09 PM

Agree with redchigh, over a 10g I would stay with incandescent. You just need the right bulbs, and Compact Fluorescent bulbs that are "daylight" with a 6500K work fine, i have two 10w GE bulbs over my 10g and 20g each and the plants are good.