Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   does algae grow in non-heavily planted tanks (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/does-algae-grow-non-heavily-planted-62131/)

leogtr 02-05-2011 07:26 PM

does algae grow in non-heavily planted tanks

hello everyone I was wondering if I will get enough algae bloom in the future for otos. I only have 4 medium size plants in my aquarium and sunlight does not hit the tank. will I get some algae? I will add more plants in the future but I was just wondering. I know there has to be alot of algae for the otos so yeah its a 20 gallon tank just to let you know..no fish are in there presently at this time.

thank you for your help:)

Aqua Jon 02-06-2011 01:10 AM

Algae will always be in the aquarium given any amount of plants. Algae are advantageous and opportunistic. Depending on the lighting and how it interacts with the tank can give you an idea of what algal species to expect and where they will occur. For example in bright areas of the tank expect string algae and staghorn. In medium areas expect green spot algae. And in low light areas expect brown algae. I had only 1 Oto in my 10 gallon, the algae was more than enough for him with only 15 watts of light. There was probably enough algae in there for 5 Otos to eat comfortably. You should introduce algae wafers as a second food source. I used hikari brand to supplement when algae was low, but do not expect the oto's to accept the new food instantly. It may take weeks for them to recognize the wafers as a food source.

leogtr 02-06-2011 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aqua Jon (Post 581524)
Algae will always be in the aquarium given any amount of plants. Algae are advantageous and opportunistic. Depending on the lighting and how it interacts with the tank can give you an idea of what algal species to expect and where they will occur. For example in bright areas of the tank expect string algae and staghorn. In medium areas expect green spot algae. And in low light areas expect brown algae. I had only 1 Oto in my 10 gallon, the algae was more than enough for him with only 15 watts of light. There was probably enough algae in there for 5 Otos to eat comfortably. You should introduce algae wafers as a second food source. I used hikari brand to supplement when algae was low, but do not expect the oto's to accept the new food instantly. It may take weeks for them to recognize the wafers as a food source.

okay cool thank you!! do you still have the oto? you should buy him some buddies so he doesnt have to be all alone!

Aqua Jon 02-07-2011 12:51 AM

unfortunately no :-( I had an algae infestation that claimed a few plants. I pulled those plants and my danios assaulted the oto. I assume it was to re-establish territories, but it was awful and i still don't understand it. The injuries were to great and my oto died :-(

leogtr 02-07-2011 02:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aqua Jon (Post 582961)
unfortunately no :-( I had an algae infestation that claimed a few plants. I pulled those plants and my danios assaulted the oto. I assume it was to re-establish territories, but it was awful and i still don't understand it. The injuries were to great and my oto died :-(

THOSE BUGGERS!!!!!:evil: what kind of danios?!? Zebra danios?!?

DANG...that is not cool I plan to have danios and I dont want anything to go down like that in my aquarium...Ill make sure to have atleast 4 otos deep. I plan to have 6 danios 6 neons and the otos and I really dont want casualties. Im not having it man im making sure this tank is flawless before I add any residents.

Aqua Jon 02-07-2011 03:11 AM

yup zebras :\ i have 7 of em. Though in a 20 gallon there may be enough space for the otos and the danios. Just make sure there are some hiding spots for the otos. I didn't have many left after the plants were removed. But that is nature, even bunny rabbits will chew your hand off if they feel threatened... :-(

leogtr 02-07-2011 04:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aqua Jon (Post 583006)
yup zebras :\ i have 7 of em. Though in a 20 gallon there may be enough space for the otos and the danios. Just make sure there are some hiding spots for the otos. I didn't have many left after the plants were removed. But that is nature, even bunny rabbits will chew your hand off if they feel threatened... :-(

man I hope so..I do believe I have enough places for cover.

oh dont remind me of those dam bunny rabbits....I hate bunny rabbits.

bad experience:evil:

lenalover 02-08-2011 04:36 PM

It's weird.. my tank doesn't have any real plants, I haven't cleaned it in forever! And, there is no algae at all. Weird.