Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   IDEAS FOR A PET.... (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/ideas-pet-621/)

smellslikefish 09-25-2006 03:27 PM

IDEAS FOR A PET....

I CURRENTLY HAVE A 30 GALLON TANK THAT IS A LITTLE OVER HALF FULL OF WATER WITH A FLOATING ISLAND THAT A COUPLE FROGS LIVE ON. NOW WHAT I WANT TO DO IS PET A FEW FISH IN THE WATER BUT I NEED SOME IDEAS AS TO WHAT KIND I SHOULD GET I WANT TO HAVE SOMETHING EXOTIC LKE LG MOUTH BASS OR BLUEGILL OR EVEN LIKE PIKE. BUT I ALSO WANT A PLECSTOMAS (PORBABLY SPELLED WRONG) AND I A CRAB OR 2, WOULD THE GAME FISH I MENTIONED BE COMPATIBLE WITH WHAT I WANT. ANY ADVISE WOULD BE MUCH APPRECIATED. :frustrated:

SimplySplendid 09-25-2006 04:14 PM

Please turn the caps lock off.

Bass, bluegill, pike, and plecos would all easily outgrow a 30 gallon, especially if you only have about 15 gallons of water. You could have some minnows, guppies, or newts, but I wouldn't go with crabs. They can be aggressive toward tankmates.

smellslikefish 09-25-2006 04:51 PM

Sorry bout the caps. I have 75 gallon tank but it is just too big for my apt. I am going to buy a house in March and get it going, but in the mean time I would like to get this little one going. so you don't even think that any of the mentioned fish would be ok tell then, as far as they go I was planning to get as small as possible like 2 inches for the gills, or like 4-5 for a bass or pike if I can catch 'em that small. but i want something that is pretty aggresive.

SKAustin 09-25-2006 04:59 PM

As for the keeping of game fishes, there are several issues at hand. the foremost of which is your local environmental regulations. additionally, species like large and smallmouth bass can jump with enough force to knock your hood and lighting into the tank thus electrocuting the livestock of your tank.

Lupin 09-25-2006 05:33 PM

...and possibly burning your house if short circuit happens.:blueworry:

If you want plecs, there are smaller species to go over with. Bristlenose are most often recommended due to their taste for algae but they can be territorial and will attack other bottom dwellers. At least in my experience.:dunno:

There are lots of fish to keep than those game fish which will never fit in your tank. As stated, there are environmental regulations which will not allow you to keep native fishes. And so on with other issues.:thumbsup:

If you do research for fish you like, pls post the list of fish you like and we'll see if they're fine in your tank.:)

Tracy 09-25-2006 07:01 PM

I'd be careful about getting large fish that may eat your frogs! :(

smellslikefish 09-26-2006 02:20 PM

What about a jewel cichlid, green terror. with a starlight bristlenose, or a sunshine pleco??