Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Ammonia and Surfacants (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/ammonia-surfacants-62038/)

Blabomb 02-06-2011 07:08 PM

Ammonia and Surfacants

I am trying to cycle my 55g fish tank using ammonia. The only type of ammonia I can find has surfactants in it.
(I have been to 4 stores) I have read up on it a little and I have heard different things. My question is can I use the ammonia that I have or will the surfactants be harmful to the fish? Any help would be greatly appreciated as I am not sure what to do.

aunt kymmie 02-06-2011 07:24 PM

You need to use pure ammonia, no surfactants. My Tru Value and Ace Hardware carry pure ammonia. Do you have a mom & pop type hardware store around where you live? If not, you can always use the raw shrimp or fish food method to cycle.

Blabomb 02-06-2011 07:28 PM

I have an ace-hardware. Would that be worth a stop?

aunt kymmie 02-06-2011 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blabomb (Post 582429)
I have an ace-hardware. Would that be worth a stop?

It would, but can you call them first? Why waste gas in case they don't have it? I'm on the West Coast and the Ace stores here carry straight ammonia. But you never know coast to coast.

aunt kymmie 02-06-2011 07:33 PM

Whoa, wait! If you're looking for ammonia does this means you lost all your fish?? :cry:

Blabomb 02-06-2011 07:37 PM

I live in Florida so yea there is quite a difference between us. haha.
And yes I did I just lot my last tiger barb this morning. :/

aunt kymmie 02-06-2011 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blabomb (Post 582444)
I live in Florida so yea there is quite a difference between us. haha.
And yes I did I just lot my last tiger barb this morning. :/

Aw, man, I'm sorry. :-( Well, good that you're going the fishless cycle method now. It's always a drag to lose fish and going forward you won't have to!!

Blabomb 02-06-2011 07:48 PM

Yea I'm hoping I won't lose anymore fish. Especially since I'll be putting cichlids in there :P
But what should I do if my Ace Hardware doesn't carre surfactant-free ammonia?

aunt kymmie 02-06-2011 11:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blabomb (Post 582455)
Yea I'm hoping I won't lose anymore fish. Especially since I'll be putting cichlids in there :P
But what should I do if my Ace Hardware doesn't carre surfactant-free ammonia?

You can always do the raw shrimp in a nylon hose or drop some fish food the tank every day, letting it rot, bringing ammonia levels up for the bacteria to feed on.

leogtr 02-07-2011 04:24 AM

hi there!!

aunt kymmie is right (hi aunt kymmie!!:D)definitely use the raw fish method its the easiest and the fastest way to cycle your tank. Just add one inch shrimp per 20 gallons let disolve in a mesh bag or nilon sock (I would add three medium size shrimp in your case)and youll have consistent amounts of ammonia. it takes about 4 weeks to cycle you just have to be checking your parameters.

using pure ammonia has to be very precise and its very tricky.

good luck!!!