Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   30 gallon high (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/30-gallon-high-6199/)

Rocky 05-29-2007 11:15 PM

30 gallon high

Hey guys,

New here, my name is Joe. I have an established 10 gallon with 3 albino cory cats and 6 tetras.

Well I cycled my 30 gallon and I wound up buying 2 blueberry oscars and a pleco for it. Turns out, I should have done my research first because everything I am reading states that blueberrys only live up to 1 yrs old (if that) they have tons of health problems, etc.... Is that true?

Also, since the 2 oscars are babies, would cory cats be fine in the tank with the oscars until the oscars get big enough to eat them?

What is everyones thoughts on blueberries?

Thanks,
Joe

Lupin 05-29-2007 11:19 PM

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r...6/welcome4.gif to the forum.:wave:

Blueberry oscars are the same as the natural strains of oscars. They reach 12 inches and will need 55 gallons as the minimum per fish and a powerful filtration. A 30 gallons high cannot accommodate even a single one long-term. Oscars are piscivores, therefore, they'll eat cories if given the opportunity to do so. Oscars live longer than just a year.

Blueberry oscars are dyed. Dyed fish do have a lot of health issues. Lymphocystis is a viral disease and several dyed fish were found to be infected with that. Worse, there is no or little cure for that disease.

Best to return them to your lfs. What pleco do you have?:) If it is a common plec, I'd suggest returning it as well. It grows rather large and will need strong filtration as well.

You'll be better off with a community tank.:)

Rocky 05-30-2007 11:36 AM

Thanks for the reply! I should have been more clearer. I was in a rush last night....

This 30 gallon is just temporary...I have a 90 gallon tank that I will be picking up in 2 weeks and eventually would like a 225 gallon tank, or something along those lines for oscars. So the 30 will only be in use for the next month or 2.

The pleco is a Bristlenose. VERY cool pleco.....

fish_4_all 05-30-2007 02:38 PM

Well as long as the BN is bigger than the Oscars and they don't fight then it sounds like you have things under control. Also, do remember that BN plecos can and will inflict serious damage to other fish if they are attacked or if the BN gets aggresive. I put a second female in the tnak with a male and female and the 2 females went at it almost istantly. I had to treat both of them in seperate tanks for wounds from the fight. You might want to keep an eye on the Oscars and the plecos just to make sure you don;t wind up with wounds so you can treat them quickly.

Other than that it sounds like you have things under control and have plans set to accomodate them properly. I know nothing about Bluebery Oscars but if they are dyed then I can imagine their life span might be shorter than normal.

Rule of thumb for an Ocsar: If it can fit in the Oscars mouth, and sometimes if it can't, an Oscar may try to eat it.

GW 05-30-2007 02:57 PM

:lol: Rule of thumb for an Ocsar: If it can fit in the Oscars mouth, and sometimes if it can't, an Oscar may try to eat it. :lol:
He's Absolutely right...I used to raise Albino Oscars.
I cant remember a time after feeding them that were not going around with as many tails of feeder goldfish sticking out of their mouths as they could fit...and still chasing what was left in the tank!!!

Lupin 05-30-2007 11:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fish_4_all
I know nothing about Bluebery Oscars but if they are dyed then I can imagine their life span might be shorter than normal.

There can't be a blueberry oscar. I've seen and known only 3 strains if my memory serves me right plus a veiltail form. The name is already dodgy at first sight.:) I can't remember knowing a fish named by ichthyologists as 'Blueberry...'. The only fish with that fruit name are the dyed forms of several species. This is prominent in the white morph of the black skirt tetras. Grapes tetra, orange tetra, strawberry tetra, blueberry tetra, cherry tetra, etc.

You're right indeed. Dyed fish are expected to have shorter lifespan. The dye can increase chances of infection and susceptibility to diseases particularly the lymphocystis as evident with large shipments of glassfish.

Rocky 05-31-2007 04:06 PM

Again, thanks for the replys....

One of the blueberries weren't doing too good and wound up dying this morning.....The other one is very active, feeding, etc... I called up my lfs and they said they have no problem replacing the fish with either another blueberry, another fish or several fish with equal value, or store credit.

So that makes me feel better that they are willing to cooperate. With that being said, what would you guys get to go along with the blueberry? I understand that oscars should only be kept with oscars, but are there any other fish that can be kept with them? Or just not a good idea at all? I'm open to all suggestions....just want some cool fish ;)

I will definetly be keeping an eye on the BN.

Lupin 05-31-2007 07:57 PM

If I were you, replace him with an original strain instead before he becomes your next problem. Oscars will be fine with most large plecs and large dither fish such as tinfoil barbs but do ensure your 90 gallons will have enough space for large dither fish.