Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Cyprinids and Atherinids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cyprinids-atherinids/)
-   -   whats wrong with my goldfish?? :( (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cyprinids-atherinids/whats-wrong-my-goldfish-61969/)

Danizzley 02-06-2011 12:22 AM

whats wrong with my goldfish?? :(

i have a 10 gallon tank with 4 goldfish, 2 dragon fish, and 1 pleco. recently i noticed that one of my goldfish had red streaks by/on its fins.. now 3 of them have the red streaks (counting the first one.) whats it from and is there anyway i can help them?? and also my one fantail goldfish (chalupa) which doesnt have redspots keeps floating upside down like hes dead but hes alive he'll move around and stuff and then turn upside down? is there anything wrong with him or is he just amused with being upside down? thanks for any answers anyone has.. :( i dont want my babies to die!

Lupin 02-06-2011 02:18 AM

Hi,

The issue is water quality. Unfortunately, your tank is quite overcrowded. With fancy goldfish, you will need a space of 15g per first fish followed by 10g per additional fish. If we assume that all your goldfish are fancy variety (and not singletails: comets, common and comet), then you will need a 55g bare minimum to accommodate all four of them. If a large tank is not an option for you, then you need to rehome some of them, upgrade to fit 1-2 fancy goldfish only, or get yourself a large fiberglass tub.

Could you please post pics of your dragon fish and pleco? If not, please indicate what species exactly these are. If your pleco is a common pleco, then that is not appropriate for a 10g at all. They can reach 12-18 inches in length so they will quickly outgrow your tank. Worse, if not properly fed, they will start developing a taste for slime coat and target your goldfish in the process. Common plecos should never be kept with goldfish at all. And I insist that you rehome this one especially with space issues put into consideration.

At this point, I suggest that you try to do partial water changes and get yourself a liquid test kit by Aquarium Pharmaceuticals. Once you have the test kit, please post the results here. The blood streaking is an indication of high levels of ammonia and nitrite present in your tank. Only water changes will reduce that but you still need to move out some of your fish to reduce the amount of wastes produced by both goldfish and plecos. Both fish are heavy waste producers, no doubt about that.

You may dissolve a teaspoon per gallon of sodium chloride to help neutralize the nitrite's toxic effect until you get the kit. Make sure you use sodium chloride. The only additive to watch out for is yellow prussiate of soda as it is toxic to fish. Rock salt, aquarium salt or pickling salt may be used.

Until we have more details, this is pretty much what I can advise you.

Copy and paste the form below into your new reply and provide answers after each question.

Quote:

1. Size of tank?

2. Water parameters
a. Ammonia?
b. Nitrite?
c. Nitrate?
d. pH, KH and GH?
e. Test kit?

3. Temperature?

4. FW (fresh water) or BW (brackish)?

5. How long the aquarium has been set up?

6. What fish do you have? How many are in your tank? How big are they? How long have you had them?

7. Were the fish placed under quarantine period (minus the first batch from the point wherein the tank is ready to accommodate the inhabitants)?

8. a. Any live plants? Fake plants?
b. Sand, gravel, barebottom?
c. Rocks, woods, fancy decors? Any hollow decors?

9. a. Filtration?
b. Heater?

10. a. Lighting schedule? What lights are used?
b. Any sunlight exposure? How long?

11. a. Water change schedule?
b. Volume of water changed?
c. Well water, tap water, RO water?
d. Water conditioner used?
e. Frequency of gravel/sand (if any) vacuumed?

12. Foods?
How often are they fed?

13. a. Any abnormal signs/symptoms?
b. Appearance of poop?
c. Appearance of gills?

14. a. Have you treated your fish ahead of diagnosis?
b. What meds were used?

15. Insert photos of fish in question and full tank shot if necessary.

Danizzley 02-06-2011 03:35 AM

all i could do right now is remove 2 of my goldfish to a 2g tank but is there a different way i should seperate them? all i have is one 10g tank and one 2g tank.

Danizzley 02-06-2011 04:13 AM

1. Size of tank? 10 Gallons
2. Water parameters
a. Ammonia? no tester
b. Nitrite? no tester
c. Nitrate? no tester
d. pH, KH and GH? no tester
e. Test kit? no
what are the average prices of those?
3. Temperature? 72
4. FW (fresh water) or BW (brackish)? freshwater
5. How long the aquarium has been set up? 1 month
6. What fish do you have? 4 goldfish (2 common in 2g tank, 2 fantail in 10g tank) 2dragon fish(violet goby), 1 suckerfish(albino pleco)
How many are in your tank? 5 in 10g.
How big are they? [1fantail:5in] [1fantail:2in] [2dragon:5-6in] [1pleco:1in]
How long have you had them? ive had the big fantail since november. the smaller fantail and gobys since early december. i just got the pleco today.
7. Were the fish placed under quarantine period (minus the first batch from the point wherein the tank is ready to accommodate the inhabitants)?
quarantine during water changes
8. a. Any live plants? had one live plant that got destroyed today during water change.
Fake plants? a hollow log with fake plants connected
b. Sand, gravel, barebottom? gravel. bare in the inside of the log
c. Rocks, woods, fancy decors? the log decoration Any hollow decors? log.
9. a. Filtration? 10g filter (medium)
b. Heater? no heater
10. a. Lighting schedule? 10hrs a day usually.
What lights are used? fluorescent in tank hood
b. Any sunlight exposure? slightly (by window but curtains are usually closed) How long? 9hours (avg.)
11. a. Water change schedule? every 1.5-2 weeks.
b. Volume of water changed? 90%
c. Well water, tap water, RO water? tap
d. Water conditioner used? aqueon water conditioner
e. Frequency of gravel/sand (if any) vacuumed? 100% rinsed with hot water
12. Foods? wardley shrimp pellets and tetra goldfish flakes
How often are they fed? 2-3 times a day
13. a. Any abnormal signs/symptoms? large goldfish started floating upside down this morning.
b. Appearance of poop? yes
c. Appearance of gills? yes
14. a. Have you treated your fish ahead of diagnosis? no
b. What meds were used?
15. Insert photos of fish in question and full tank shot if necessary.
I WILL HAVE PHOTOS TOMORROW.
can you also help me with my upside down fish?

Lupin 02-06-2011 04:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Danizzley (Post 581604)
all i could do right now is remove 2 of my goldfish to a 2g tank but is there a different way i should seperate them? all i have is one 10g tank and one 2g tank.

Is it possible for you to get any of these? A 2g will not suffice.
Fiberglass Ponds

And you really need API liquid kit to determine your ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH. Your tank can't fit a single goldfish at all.:-(

The only remedy we have for the floaty fish is clean water at this point. Ditch the flakes. It could contribute to floaty issues since any foods eaten from the surface may cause floaty issues. Your fish could be sensitive to that. Then encourage it to eat peas. Any leafy green vegetable will also work as part of its diet. I suggest varying the foods. Fresh foods such as shrimps will work.

I like to make gel foods for the goldfish. As the ingredients are raw and fresh usually, they work better as a staple than any foods you can come up with. Here's a link to gel food recipes.

http://thegab.org/index.php?option=c...php&f=3&t=3629

You can buy Mazuri at Goldfish Utopia online. It is easy to make. Just 50:50 ratio of hot water and gel powder mix. It also works as a staple but I prefer to combine it with my homemade gel food recipes as it's kinda expensive. Some info can be found here as the site works in collaboration with Ed's Goldfish Utopia.

http://thegab.org/index.php?option=c...php&f=3&t=7279

And switch your dechlorinator to Prime. Prime will help bind the ammonia and nitrite to nontoxic form. Once the fish are sorted out, dissolve the salt as previously advised and add to the tank to neutralize nitrite. Don't forget clean water remains more important.

I remember I had two comets that suffered a severe case of blood streaking around fins and skin. I had to do 3x 100% water changes to get them fixed and they recovered overnight. Goes to show how clean water is useful to fish. I suggest doing water changes daily by at least 60-70% until you can stabilize the nitrogen cycle.

Are you familiar of the nitrogen cycle already?

kelly528 02-06-2011 01:29 PM

For now you could make do with a large. rubbermaid tub, given you can filter it.

Danizzley 02-06-2011 03:19 PM

fantail

i seperated the goldfish from the other fish and their in a big container now with a filter.
my main concern now is my big fantail goldfish thats floating upside down.. when i called petco and petsmart they both said they didnt carry anything to treat swimbladder and they told me to try the pea home remedy. so i did but my fish cant swim to the bottom to eat the pea and so when i tried to hold the pea to his mouth he still wont eat it.. im worried about this please let me know what to do!

Lupin 02-06-2011 05:23 PM

Darn it. Let's see what our options are at this point.

1. Post all the ingredients and guaranteed analysis of your commercial foods. The wardley and tetra stuff. Let's see if these stuff have too much starch crap in them. If so, then you need to stop using those and try fresh vegetables and shrimps, and we'll replace those commercial crap with much better brands. In fact, I do recommend that you stop the commercial foods for the next 5 days and feed nothing but shrimps and veggies only. This will rule out the possibility starch is the culprit. You're not supposed to continue flakes anyway once a fish becomes floaty with it. In general, round bodied fancies should not be fed with flakes at all as a precaution since they are predisposed to floaty issues. Their organs are all squashed up from their exaggerated body shapes.

2. Start using homemade gel foods or Mazuri gel foods and add acidophilus in the recipe. The acidophilus can be bought in tablet or capsule form in health stores. The Lactobacillus acidophilus will inhibit gas-producing bacteria that lines up the digestive system of your fish. Remember that goldfish do not have a stomach so they rely entirely on their enzymes and bacteria to digest their foods.

This reminds me. As the goldfish do not have a stomach, then give them multiple small meals only rather than a few large meals. This will prevent them from suffering bloat and constipation which can upset them pretty much.

3. If your fish is not eating at all, try lacing the fresh shrimps with garlic and insert metronidazole (crushed into powder) in the shrimps so you can get them to eat. Your other option is to try metromed which you can buy online.

There are many causes of floaty issues among goldfish.

1. High nitrate. The high nitrate can cause the bloodstream to convert it back to nitrite thus causing vasodilitation.

2. Starch. I already explained this to you earlier why it is a possible culprit.

3. Stress.

4. Food allergies. This is possible.

5. Bacterial infections.

Danizzley 02-06-2011 08:08 PM

fish foods,

tetra fin flakes ingredients: fish meal, ground brown rice, dried yeast, shrimp meal, feeding oat meal, wheat gluten, fish oil, soybean oil, corn gluten, algae meal, sorbitol, lecithin, potato protein, yeast extract, ascorbic acid, inositol, niacin, l-ascorbyl-2-polyphosphate, a-tocopherol-acetate, d-calcium pantothnate, riboflavin-5-phosphate, thiamine mononitrat, menadione sodium bisulfite complex, folic acid, pyridoxine hydrochloride, vitamin a palmitate, biotin, vit. b12 supplement, cholecalchiferol, maganese sulfate monohydrate, cobalt acetate. and colorings.

tetra fin flakes analysis: min. crude protein 42.0%, min crude fat 11.0%, max crude fiber 2.0%, max moisture 6.5%, min phosphorus 1.1%, min vit a 15,000 IU/KG, min vit d3 1,300 IU/KG, min vit e 120 IU/KG, min niacin 600 MG/KG, min vit b12 85 MG/KG, min chlorine 1700 MG/KG, min biotin 1MG/KG, min asorbic acid 256 MG/Kg, omega 3 fatty acids 8,000 MG/KG

Danizzley 02-06-2011 09:08 PM

fantail

hes hardly moving his gills anymore im pretty sure that as sad as it is.. he'll be dead tomorrow morning. thanks for all the help and tryin to save him but i think its too late now.:-(