Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater and Tropical Fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/)
-   -   29 gal started re-stock today... (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/29-gal-started-re-stock-today-61947/)

LasColinasCichlids 02-05-2011 08:36 PM

29 gal started re-stock today...

For my b-day today, my hubby took me to our local aquarium specialty store and traded in my evil 5" Red Devil cichlid for store credit and bought new fish.

I got 5 habrosus corydoras, they are so cute and so tiny, they are probably only like 1/4"!!

And I wanted Rasboras, but got talked into 6 Serpae tetras, but since nothing with lots of tails will be in the tank I dont think there will be too much issue, especially since I got 6. They spent the first few minutes establishing their pecking order but are all calmed down now, well not calm...they are in love with my bubblewand (had cut holes in it to produce 3 large bubble cascades) and they go to the bottom of the wand, and jump to ride the bubbles up to the top like a theme park...they are entertaining.

Plan on adding a couple of schools of rasboras, either pygmy or marble hatchetfish, cherry barbs, otos, and if I get a dwarf gourami as a centerpiece then I will add some breeding mollies.

Anyone else have habrosus cory?? I am in LOVE with them! They are the cutest little things I have EVER seen!!! Sadly, they are hard to keep track of all five in my tank, but I love them none the less!!! I will use this thread to continue to post what I stock my tank with as time goes on...and once I get a chance to get pics of the lil boogers I will post them on here too.

PRichs87 02-06-2011 10:01 PM

If you are getting hatchetfish, I suggest getting floating plants. These guys need some cover from the light and need a place to hide out every once in a while. They'll do better in this type of environment, or some tall plants that grow along the surface of the water would suffice as well.

LasColinasCichlids 02-08-2011 11:48 PM

Sadly today, one of my cory died. It was the tiniest one, just over 1/4". The other four are about 1/2", and all seem to be doing perfectly fine. Checked all the water parameters and they all check out stable, as always, in my tank. I guess it was just too little or came to me unstable considering I have only had them for a few days.

Tomorrow or the next day I will be heading out for some more new fish...I for sure what some kind of rasbora, and am thinking about a group of albino cory.

LasColinasCichlids 02-10-2011 05:37 AM

Added brilliant rasbora, a clown pleco, and an albino rainbow shark. Tank is fully stocked now. Also started some live plants in it, 4 to start. Also added two live plants to my smaller tank. All water parameters are still all in check, YAY!

1077 02-10-2011 06:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LasColinasCichlids (Post 586318)
Added brilliant rasbora, a clown pleco, and an albino rainbow shark. Tank is fully stocked now. Also started some live plants in it, 4 to start. Also added two live plants to my smaller tank. All water parameters are still all in check, YAY!

Can't remember whether you have driftwood in the tank but would submit that the Clown pleco must have some wood to rasp on as it is a important part of the fishes diet.
Was at Petco:evil: a few weeks back for some food and noticed that they had three or four clown plecos in display tank but no wood.I mentioned that they absolutely do poorly without i (wood)t and employeee said they could provide the wood,no problem.
Came in a couple weeks later and two remaining clown plecos were emaciated ,sunken belly's. I bought both and they now happily call a 20 gal tank I set up for them with large piece of driftwood home.
They eat just about anything and remain largely unseen (nocturnal,) but the little piles of sawdust let me know they are thriving.;-)

PRichs87 02-10-2011 06:59 PM

Rainbow Shark will be huge, look to buy a bigger tank.

LasColinasCichlids 02-10-2011 07:43 PM

Albino rainbow shark should peak out at 6 inches max, mostly stay around 5 inches, so I am not worried, at least as long as it remains peaceful in the tank. If he gets to the point that he needs a larger tank, if I am ready to upgrade it is an option, if not he will be rehomed.

My tank has fake wood in it, like a log thing. I will be going out Saturday, so I will see about picking up some real driftwood for him, thanks for the tip!

PRichs87 02-10-2011 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LasColinasCichlids (Post 586899)
Albino rainbow shark should peak out at 6 inches max, mostly stay around 5 inches, so I am not worried, at least as long as it remains peaceful in the tank. If he gets to the point that he needs a larger tank, if I am ready to upgrade it is an option, if not he will be rehomed.

My tank has fake wood in it, like a log thing. I will be going out Saturday, so I will see about picking up some real driftwood for him, thanks for the tip!

buyer beware- all driftwood is not equal, do some research on what type you would like before you purchase. Bogwood is nice.

LasColinasCichlids 02-10-2011 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PRichs87 (Post 586973)
buyer beware- all driftwood is not equal, do some research on what type you would like before you purchase. Bogwood is nice.

I will do that, thank you.

stevenjohn21 02-10-2011 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1077 (Post 586335)
Can't remember whether you have driftwood in the tank but would submit that the Clown pleco must have some wood to rasp on as it is a important part of the fishes diet.
Was at Petco:evil: a few weeks back for some food and noticed that they had three or four clown plecos in display tank but no wood.I mentioned that they absolutely do poorly without i (wood)t and employeee said they could provide the wood,no problem.
Came in a couple weeks later and two remaining clown plecos were emaciated ,sunken belly's. I bought both and they now happily call a 20 gal tank I set up for them with large piece of driftwood home.
They eat just about anything and remain largely unseen (nocturnal,) but the little piles of sawdust let me know they are thriving.;-)

I understand that buying fish that are being poorly treated makes us feel better short term but now they have none to sell they will just order another batch in and they will all be left in the same conditions. By not purchasing them may have actually saved another batch.