Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Fluval Underwater Filter Question (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/fluval-underwater-filter-question-61930/)

PRichs87 02-05-2011 06:40 PM

Fluval Underwater Filter Question

Anyone ever use the Fluval U3 Underwater filter? It's not the undergravel filter it hangs on the wall.

Hagen Fluval U3 Underwater Filter at PETCO

I'm wondering because my Aqueon Power Filter really agitates my surface water and I can't really keep floating plants and would like to.

I'm looking into options and canisters are just really expensive and I don't mind having the filter within the aquarium, ,I could hide it behind my huge sword now that it has really grown over 3 weeks.

Thanks!

wavebeast 02-08-2011 01:23 PM

Had the same problem with Aqueon. My Aqueon filter came with a 10 gallon kit and knocked my Betta and floating plants all over the tank. I bought a Hydro Sponge Filter and it works perfect. Just make sure you buy the correct size for your tank.

I bought one for up to 20 gallons and I had to cut the flow tube for it to even fit in my 10 gallon with the height of the substrate. They work great though. I bought a Rena Air 50 to go with it. It's noisy and needs to be cushioned underneath to quiet the buzzing but it works great as well.

Unless you have really messy fish (Oscars, puffers) - or too many fish, you could us sponge filters - according to the people at Hydro - up to 125 gallons. Good luck, hope I helped.

OscarLoverJim 02-10-2011 08:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PRichs87 (Post 581165)
Anyone ever use the Fluval U3 Underwater filter? It's not the undergravel filter it hangs on the wall.

Hagen Fluval U3 Underwater Filter at PETCO

I'm wondering because my Aqueon Power Filter really agitates my surface water and I can't really keep floating plants and would like to.

I'm looking into options and canisters are just really expensive and I don't mind having the filter within the aquarium, ,I could hide it behind my huge sword now that it has really grown over 3 weeks.

Thanks!

I've been using a Fluval submersible ancestor of this model for many years, still going. You can put it on the bottom of the tank and point the output up (or even to the side against the glass if it's still too much current) and put decor around it. The biggest pain in the butt with submersibles is you have to take them out of the water and take them apart to clean them but if you like to putter like I do it's not so bad.

HMlairy 02-10-2011 01:46 PM

I have the Fluval U2 model and it doesn't agitate the surface of the water at all because of it's 3 flow control options.