Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Catfish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/catfish/)
-   -   Corys okay with goldfish? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/catfish/corys-okay-goldfish-61884/)

HMlairy 02-05-2011 09:56 AM

Corys okay with goldfish?

I have 2 gold fish (black moor and shubunkin) and have always loved catfish :^)
Are corys good tank mates for goldfish?
Please reply, my tank seems a huge space with only 2 fish in :(

fan4guppy 02-05-2011 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HMlairy (Post 580652)
I have 2 gold fish (black moor and shubunkin) and have always loved catfish :^)
Are corys good tank mates for goldfish?
Please reply, my tank seems a huge space with only 2 fish in :(

How big is your aquarium?

Do you have a heater?

What is the temperature of the Aquarium.

The water parametres of your tank in PH, and hardness may come into play with the answer you are seeking.

However on a personal opinion, Goldfish are generally best kept with Goldfish although I do know of some people that would keep plecostomus and corys with them if water temperatures, ph and hardness are correct in the parametres for the species involved.

Lupin 02-05-2011 10:26 AM

No cories. Small goldfish may be fine but as they mature, they may attempt to swallow the cories. There have been cases of otos and cories swallowed by goldfish. In the end, the catfishes may be destroyed to save the goldfish's life.

I'd like to know tank size first before recommending another fish for you. A black moor would require 15g of space whereas shubunkins are much more active and bigger and therefore need 20g space. All singletails (hibuna, comet and shub) should be kept in tanks no smaller than 75g.

HMlairy 02-05-2011 11:52 AM

Well they are both in a 20g, but i will move the shubunkin into the pond when he's bigger (they are both a month or so old so are still very small). Once the shub is out, i would like a bottom feeder...

HMlairy 02-05-2011 11:54 AM

I am talking Imperial gallons btw

fan4guppy 02-05-2011 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HMlairy (Post 580744)
Well they are both in a 20g, but i will move the shubunkin into the pond when he's bigger (they are both a month or so old so are still very small). Once the shub is out, i would like a bottom feeder...

Sounds like you have generally room for one for the proper growth of the goldfish.

I was refering to people that keep small goldfish with Corys and then it would be monitored but personally I just leave goldfish by themselves giving them proper room for growth and development.

HMlairy 02-05-2011 12:06 PM

Thanks, i'll bear that in mind :)

Lupin 02-06-2011 02:04 AM

Did you actually record the age of your shub or retrieved info from a breeder? If you are determining it by size, that does not work. They grow very differently so size cannot accurately tell the age.

kelly528 02-06-2011 02:16 AM

In 20 Imperial Gallons I wouldn't put anything other than another fancy goldfish. Goldfish need a minimum of 10 USG per fish, but most would argue that you should give the first goldfish 20g and then add 1 fish per 10g after that. As goldfish are social fish that need the company of at least one other goldfish (it's actually animal cruelty to keep them alone in some countries), you would be fully stocked at two goldfish in 20 Imperial Gallons (24 USG).

If you got a bigger tank you could add a bristlenose pleco (the only tried-and-true algae eater that won't hurt your goldfish), but they also need 10g per fish.