Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Could use some advice on stocking my tank. (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/could-use-some-advice-stocking-my-61819/)

mikeyfishes 02-04-2011 04:28 PM

Could use some advice on stocking my tank.

1 Attachment(s)
[IMG]file:///C:/Users/mike/Desktop/tank/tank%20001.JPG[/IMG] Hey everyone. My tank finally cycled a couple of weeks ago(thanks to everyone here and their advice:-)). Unfortunately i lost all7 of my glowlights:-(. I think it had to do with my use of phdown, but cant be totally sure. After they were gone i cycled with a shrimp and it worked out. I waited 5 days after my amm. and nitrites were 0 and added 5 glowlight tetras.1 week i added 2 dwarf gouramis , and today i added a clown pleco and 4 sakura shrimp.Im going to add 2 more glowlights next week. I just wanted some opinions on what other types of fish i should get. Iwas also thinking about getting abristlenose pleco. Oh yeah its a 45 gal. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.:-)

leogtr 02-04-2011 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeyfishes (Post 579904)
[IMG]file:///C:/Users/mike/Desktop/tank/tank%20001.JPG[/IMG] Hey everyone. My tank finally cycled a couple of weeks ago(thanks to everyone here and their advice:-)). Unfortunately i lost all7 of my glowlights:-(. I think it had to do with my use of phdown, but cant be totally sure. After they were gone i cycled with a shrimp and it worked out. I waited 5 days after my amm. and nitrites were 0 and added 5 glowlight tetras.1 week i added 2 dwarf gouramis , and today i added a clown pleco and 4 sakura shrimp.Im going to add 2 more glowlights next week. I just wanted some opinions on what other types of fish i should get. Iwas also thinking about getting abristlenose pleco. Oh yeah its a 45 gal. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.:-)

hi there!!

Otocinclus catfish would be nice to add since they are great little algae clean up crews! kuhli loaches are great for cleaning leftovers and stuff! corys are great for cleaning too! neon tetras are really pretty and so are glofish they are super colorful and super active! they are all friendly! check out the profiles on the top of the page to see other great possible residents for your aquarium! which by the way is very nice!! try to get some live plants though they are always helpful and some are really easy to take care of!!

good luck and happy fish keeping!

philthefish94 02-04-2011 05:49 PM

you could get some swordfish, they look really nice and you could put like two males in the tank without females so you wont have any babies.

mikeyfishes 02-04-2011 06:12 PM

Thanks for your suggestions.I will keep them in mind on my next trip to the fish store.

GwenInNM 02-04-2011 06:20 PM

Experiences with Walmart fish??

I too will begin to start stocking some fish. Today I saw some blue Ghoramis (spelled wrong):lol: at Walmart and they only want $2.43 a piece for them. Has anyone had any good experience with getting fish from Walmart?

Thanks!

mikeyfishes 02-04-2011 06:22 PM

I didnt even know they had fish in walmart! But it does sound like a good price.

GwenInNM 02-04-2011 06:32 PM

Walmart

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeyfishes (Post 580014)
I didnt even know they had fish in walmart! But it does sound like a good price.

It might have to be a "Super Walmart" but yes, they have fish, the Glo tetras, the poor cute little Dwarf green/black spotted puffer guys they sell as "freshwater", and some others too.

Just worried about getting an illness, cause I don't have a quarantine tank.

Thanks for any input on Walmart fish!

Calmwaters 02-04-2011 08:47 PM

I would not get fish at Walmart they do not take care of them and any time I have bought from there they are sick. It is a nice place to get other stuff I just don't think its a good place to get fish.

jbonez 02-04-2011 08:52 PM

my walmart dont even sell fish lol. nice tank bro

PRichs87 02-04-2011 09:19 PM

Do not listen the previous post and get Otos. Your tank doesn't have live plants (they do better with live ones) and doesn't look to have an ample supply of algae. Otos need algae to live and when that is gone you need to feed them algae tabs.

Corydoras are not scavenging fish, in fact most bottom dwellers really aren't scavengers. They just feed from the substrate and their mouths are turned downward due to evolution. Corys need to be kept in schools.

Walmart should be banned from selling fish, I'm not sure why people buy them there... it's depressing. A store that completely lacks customer service should not be allowed to deal with animals. Go to your local fish store and buy the same fish for $5. You'll have a much better chance at keeping it long term and won't be buying infected fish that could possibly kill its tankmates.

Dwarf Gouramis can be territorial, so keep an eye on them, usually people only keep one of them in a tank. You seem to have areas they could designate as their territories though, which would help in reducing aggression. I'm not saying it won't work, just look for harassment signs on your fish.