Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Invertebrates (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/invertebrates/)
-   -   Snails dieing when moved from one tank to another (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/invertebrates/snails-dieing-when-moved-one-tank-61752/)

LisaLB24 02-03-2011 08:32 PM

Snails dieing when moved from one tank to another

I have a 10g planted tank has tons of ramshorns in it. I don't mind them at all. In fact, I want to "infest" my 2.5g planted betta tank. But everytime I try to move some over they die within an hour! The tank is warmer but only by 2 or 3 degrees. Could this be the cause? How can I successfully transfer some snails?

Lupin 02-06-2011 02:25 AM

Did you test your pH, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and hardness levels between two tanks?

Guppie luver 02-06-2011 08:55 AM

try doing like one at a time and watching them to see if u can tell if that is the problem

Chicklet 02-06-2011 01:54 PM

I always send a few testers first when I plan to move to another tank,
Some tanks just never work out, Everything being equal, yet still fails.

The best solution I have found when really needing to transfer to a tank that just doesn't want to agree with the snails,
I transfer half the water from the original tank to the transfer tank, Sometimes this works, Sometimes not, The same holds true with 100 per cent from the original tank to the transfer, I have seen others with the same problem, I have become incline to think possible something in the sealant/building of the tank thats not in agreement with the snails.

Lupin 02-06-2011 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chicklet (Post 582047)
I always send a few testers first when I plan to move to another tank,
Some tanks just never work out, Everything being equal, yet still fails.

The best solution I have found when really needing to transfer to a tank that just doesn't want to agree with the snails,
I transfer half the water from the original tank to the transfer tank, Sometimes this works, Sometimes not, The same holds true with 100 per cent from the original tank to the transfer, I have seen others with the same problem, I have become incline to think possible something in the sealant/building of the tank thats not in agreement with the snails.

That's a good thought. I actually forgot traces of copper is possible. The fish may be fine but invertebrates are more sensitive to traces of heavy metals. Heavy metals are even more toxic at acidic pH than alkaline.

What's the pH, Lisa?
Where did you buy the betta tank?
Has it been treated with copper before?

The strange thing is the betta is absolutely fine so it is not possible that the silicon, if it's not for aquarium use, is the culprit.

LisaLB24 02-07-2011 10:23 AM

Hi, guys! Thanks for the responses. The ph in both tanks is roughly 7.4. The tank that they are moving from is a cycled, densley planted 10 gallon. Water params are pretty perfect in both tanks, the 2.5 gallon is not cycled but I do a 50% water change twice a week and a full change, wipe down, clean out every two weeks. It is planted with water wisteria and holds only one beta. The tank was purchased from pet smart, it's glass, never been washed with any chemicals, just hot water. And the betta is thriving. I've had a few incidents with brown algea blooms in between 100 % water changes and that's why I want to add the snails. Like I said, they stop moving within minutes and then are dead within an hour. I even tried a mystery in it and he was still for the entire day, that afternoon I moved him back to the 10g and he perked back up within a few hours and is still doing great in there (in fact I'm expected some little mystery babies soon, but that's another post :-D). Thanks again for any help!

Lupin 02-07-2011 05:10 PM

So what are the water parameters currently in the betta tank?

LisaLB24 02-08-2011 08:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lupin (Post 583642)
So what are the water parameters currently in the betta tank?

Ph 7.4, ammonia 0, nitrites 0, nitrates 0. Unicycled tank. Thanks
Posted via Mobile Device

Lupin 02-08-2011 04:51 PM

That would explain the deaths of your ramshorns. Why can you not borrow the filter media of the 10g for your 2.5g?

LisaLB24 02-15-2011 07:42 AM

I don't understand why those water params would kill snails. I won't let that tank cycle because it's so small and gets dirty very quickly. I clean the gravel and do 50-100% water changes frequently. The only difference is that the 10g cycled tank keeps nitrates around 20-30. Do snails need the nitrates?