Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Introduce Yourself (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/introduce-yourself/)
-   -   Emergency (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/introduce-yourself/emergency-61746/)

trishrdh1 02-03-2011 08:14 PM

Emergency

Help I have had a 55 gallon tank for a long time. Just an lazy fish lover. I don't keep many fish in it and the ones I have are large. All of a sudden they seem to be having trouble and I think they are dying. I haven't had a fish dye in probably a year. Just added a few small tetras last week but they seem to be doing ok

I have a large parrot fish and a silver dollar fish that are large and they are really struggling tonight They seemed fine yesterday.

I don't have a tester with me tonight. I was using strips and am out. I have gotten pretty lazy because it seemed like everything was going so good that i just quit testing.

What can I do I know I can't give you much information but please try to help me

I have had this tank for years and never had any trouble. I only have 11 fish in the entire tank. i very large algae eater,a catfish 2 sharks 1 parrot,1 silver dollar, and 5 small tetras of one kind or another. I mean big fish. The silver dollar is probably at least 5-7 years old and is probably 3 inches long. The parrot is about 5 inches and the algae eater is about 18 inches long. All of them have been together for long time except for the two new ones.
I know I am showing my stupidity but I just need help

leogtr 02-03-2011 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trishrdh1 (Post 579116)
Help I have had a 55 gallon tank for a long time. Just an lazy fish lover. I don't keep many fish in it and the ones I have are large. All of a sudden they seem to be having trouble and I think they are dying. I haven't had a fish dye in probably a year. Just added a few small tetras last week but they seem to be doing ok

I have a large parrot fish and a silver dollar fish that are large and they are really struggling tonight They seemed fine yesterday.

I don't have a tester with me tonight. I was using strips and am out. I have gotten pretty lazy because it seemed like everything was going so good that i just quit testing.

What can I do I know I can't give you much information but please try to help me

I have had this tank for years and never had any trouble. I only have 11 fish in the entire tank. i very large algae eater,a catfish 2 sharks 1 parrot,1 silver dollar, and 5 small tetras of one kind or another. I mean big fish. The silver dollar is probably at least 5-7 years old and is probably 3 inches long. The parrot is about 5 inches and the algae eater is about 18 inches long. All of them have been together for long time except for the two new ones.

hello and welcome!!!!

okay strips are really not that acurate so invest in a master test kit! and do 50 percent emergency water changes when you see the fish struggling! dont forget declorinator! Buy air stones if you dont have any and keep the top open so that there is circulation and so that the carbon dioxide escapes quicker and the oxygen comes in faster too! check you filter and see the if the water in overflowing and not passing through the cartridge! I would get a powerhead for more water movement on top! remember water changes are imporatnt in situations like this so make sure you do those! and dont be lazy you have to be a good parent to your little fishies!!!!

BYRON WHERE ARE YOU?? AUNT KYMMIE?? :blueshake:

SeaHorse 02-03-2011 09:53 PM

Good job leogtr!! the only part that concerns me is the leaving the top open, you have some big fishies there and they can jump if the ammonial levels get too high.
ok so you had a tank luckily that was balanced based on exactly what had been living together and growing together. you added more fish last week and thru out the balance. now you have more fish pooping making ammonia and nitite and the good bio has not caught up yet. you must do water changes for the next several weeks as you have created a mini cycle by adding new fish. You were probably at your peak prior to adding them. Yes perfect timing for purchasing the api masterkit with the bottles of solutions. they are much more accurate. get yourself a little calender and mark down everything you do, your settings and track your changes. I am also a lazy fish owner and the direct result of this will be fish death guaranteed!! The calender hopefully will alert you to the time that has passed since your last water change. You may also have changed the amount of food you are giving which will also increase ammonia.
Once this is settled, you also have a shark problem, no more than one in any tank, and the catfish is too big for a 55. But get on your water change right now!! lol. good luck.

leogtr 02-03-2011 11:13 PM

oh yeah I forgott fish are stupidd lol I hope that things go back to normal but dont stop asking questions anything that you might have in mind ask it could mean a drastic change in the health and well-being of your fishies!!!!!

take care!!!!

aunt kymmie 02-03-2011 11:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trishrdh1 (Post 579116)

It would really help if we knew the water parameters. How often are you doing water changes and when you do how much water are you changing out? The biggest problem is your 18" fish. I'm assuming it's a pleco? They are massive producers of waste. A silver dollar at 3" when he is already 5 to 7 years old? He should be much bigger than 3" so for some reason that fish is stunted. They are a shoaling fish and need to be in a group, could relate to why he hasn't grown at the rate he should, as would poor water quality.

As has been stated, the best thing you can be doing for your fish right now is water changes with a good water conditioner. I use Prime, what have you been using?
Any chance you can get your hands on a liquid tester or even take a sample of your water to your nearest LFS?? When you say struggling, how? Rapid breathing, coming to the surface for air, etc??

Get on top of water changes and come back and post your results when you have them.
Sorry your tank is having problems. :-(

And, welcome to TFK, we are glad you found us!

trishrdh1 02-09-2011 11:01 AM

Looking better

Ok so I lost both sharks and the catfish but not the large "algae eater"
The silver dollar still is swimming funny but the parrot fish seems a little better

Why would two small tetras make the tank so far off balance? This is a large tank with not many fish I only had 11 fish in the tank? Now down to 7

I have been doing about 20% water change each night but that doesn't seem to help

Got a nitrate kit and ph kit both check out within normal ranges although I am told now 6.5 ph is low for the parrott the ph testing was yellow in color and the Nitrate had three different test in one and it was light green can't remember the numbers.

Lost the largest of the tetras which is the same kind of fish I think red phatom tetra i had just bought two more of but the new ones look great & the other 2 small tetra seem wonderful swimming around like normal

Will ick kill? The tetra that died had a lot of little white/clear looking spots on it and also on the fins

I had been treating with ick medicine and also melafix too trying to help

Both the parrott and the silver dollar stay at the top of the tank but I have two dual air pumps two on "curtains" and two going to airstones, plus a waterfall filter that adds air Don't think that's the problem

I did try feeding them a peas last night because i had read something about swimmers bladder being the problem

i use flake food and some shrimp pellets plus some algae food Am I using the wrong food?

I do like to feed them so I could be overfeeding. I am cutting back.

Do you have any other suggestions?

Still alive but not well!

Thanks for the advise.

trishrdh1 02-09-2011 11:07 AM

Forgot something

I have well water so I don't usually add anything to it. No additives. Should I still condition?

We have had it tested several times and the water test great although I have heard it said that it is "hard" water.

What should I do with the large algae eater? Just get rid of it?

Need a lot of help