Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater Journals (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-journals/)
-   -   my 125 project (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-journals/my-125-project-61738/)

MAC29 02-03-2011 08:36 PM

my 125 project

1 Attachment(s)
I got this tank from a guy on a local site posted that I was looking for a 125, he said he had a 125 but it had a leak and was willing to get rid of it for cheep I asked how much he wanted for it he replyed 20bucks. I had been at the local fish store the night before and almost bought a new 125 that had a chip in the corner for 250$, origanaly 320$ but wouldn't take 250 cash, so when I heard that this guy wanted 20bucks for the tank I thoght even if I couldn't fix it it would be worh buying so here is what I gotAttachment 23143and this is what I have doneAttachment 23146

Attachment 23144

Attachment 23145

leogtr 02-03-2011 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MAC29 (Post 579037)
I got this tank from a guy on a local site posted that I was looking for a 125, he said he had a 125 but it had a leak and was willing to get rid of it for cheep I asked how much he wanted for it he replyed 20bucks. I had been at the local fish store the night before and almost bought a new 125 that had a chip in the corner for 250$, origanaly 320$ but wouldn't take 250 cash, so when I heard that this guy wanted 20bucks for the tank I thoght even if I couldn't fix it it would be worh buying so here is what I gotAttachment 23143and this is what I have doneAttachment 23146

Attachment 23144

Attachment 23145

no man dont...really that tank is out of commission dont risk it.

I think that when it comes to this hobby you really have to look at quality and make good investments or else your not going to get the best out of it long term. I mean I get that its a big tank and it was cheap and everything but there is a reason why it was so cheap and theres a reason why new tanks are high in price.

I hope that in the end you decide to do whats best because when your cheap with somethings(which I myself have been cheap in alot of cases) your going to suffer consequences.

you know what I mean?

MAC29 02-03-2011 09:07 PM

I have taken out all of the cilicone cleaned the tank for what seams to be weeks (probly 9 days) and resealed everything in the tank the next step is to test it with water i will only fill it about a quarter of the way and let it sit for 72 hrs and see if I did a good enough job if not I only have wasted about 40 bucks and some HARD labor

lorax84 02-04-2011 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by leogtr (Post 579079)
no man dont...really that tank is out of commission dont risk it.

I think that when it comes to this hobby you really have to look at quality and make good investments or else your not going to get the best out of it long term. I mean I get that its a big tank and it was cheap and everything but there is a reason why it was so cheap and theres a reason why new tanks are high in price.

I hope that in the end you decide to do whats best because when your cheap with somethings(which I myself have been cheap in alot of cases) your going to suffer consequences.

you know what I mean?

Maybe I am missing something, but I really disagree with you here. That tank is dirty and probably needs everything resealed but it isn't a total loss. Around here a drilled 125 with dual overflows would be about $350 new, and I would NEVER pay that much for a tank. To me aquariums are like cars, and by that I mean they lose 30%-40% of their value when you take them home, even if you never use them. That is a bad investment no matter how you look at it. Everyone I know who is a serious aquarium hobbyist (more than 5 tanks or breeding fish for sale) would jump at this deal. DIY is a necessity unless you are interdependently wealthy.

@MAC29 you may want to drain and fill it a few times to check that the seals can handle the the stress of filling and draining. With a tank that was that dirty I would worry about getting a really good seal even if I cleaned it well.