Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Livebearers (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/livebearers/)
-   -   ugh oh my red wag platy is pregnant...now what? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/livebearers/ugh-oh-my-red-wag-platy-61707/)

johnathon034 02-03-2011 02:22 PM

ugh oh my red wag platy is pregnant...now what?

I have 5 red wag platys and one is all swollen and looks like she's gonna pop. i've never kept a live bearers before so im a little lost as to what to do. I used to keep oscars but my wife insisted we do tropical community now. I have a 55 gal setup. besides the platys i have gold barbs a few gouramis and some tetras and two cory cats. i don't know if that info is pertinent but i think it is. i appreciate any advice anyone can give me.

Ostara 02-03-2011 02:52 PM

Of course she is! Female livebearers that are old enough to sex are always pregnant. Any other females you have will also be pregnant, though they may not be in the same ballooned stage. There's really no advice to give though unless you plan to fish them out and raise them. If left in the main tank, all will be eaten by the other fish or by the platies themselves. If you have a very heavily planted tank with lots of shelter the odd one may make it to non-edible size, but if not nature will pretty much take its course.

johnathon034 02-03-2011 04:07 PM

thanks! I don't mind letting my other fish eat the fry but my wife wants to try to keep them alive. What do you reccomend for that? And what do i do with the fry after they grow? i've used up almost every inch per gallon i have in my aquarium.

underh2o 02-03-2011 04:30 PM

The Plot thickens!!! This is the true meaning of new tank syndrome. LOL This is why the hobby expands. If you plan on raising the fry than you will probably need another tank. If you are short on space or patience or pocket book. let them be. Nature will take its course and who knows you may have a few new guests that will make it no matter what!!

fish joey 02-03-2011 05:33 PM

Hope you wife has a birthday coming up ..never mind shes getting a tank for Valentines day!!!! The only way to keep healthy fry is to move them to their own tank... as long as you have some nesting plants for them the can make it a few days in the big tank....keep your eye out youll have to distact the other fish to feed them till you can get them out...fun fun fun:-D

tanker 02-03-2011 08:20 PM

I've had my platies for some time. I had one baby survive at first. Recently I've got 2 bigger fry, 2 smaller fry and another teeny weeny baby....

The main difference in the tank (despite a different dad) is the amount of floating water sprite in there. The surface is covered with the floating plants. I assume that the babies have been safe up there hiding in the sprite. If you really want to keep them alive, you could try some floating water sprite.

Christople 02-13-2011 04:29 PM

I have hornwort that I got from petsmart and it is cheap and is easy to get a lot of. the fry love it and it provides shelter

Ponyo 02-13-2011 05:59 PM

Congratulations. I'm raising a surprise batch of platy fry myself right now, although I'm keeping them in a separate aquarium from the adults. I figure I'll give these little ones the best possible chance of survival, but next time I may just put some water sprites in and hope the toughest ones will make it. There's a limit to how many tanks I can set up right now.

johnathon034 02-16-2011 05:54 AM

thanks

Thanks everybody. I think i'll get a water sprite and just wait it out. So far no babies, at least we haven't seen any. Maybe some came and got eaten, or maybe she's just not ready yet lol.

fishbreeder 02-16-2011 06:03 AM

Penn Plax Automatic Circulating Breeding Fish Hatchery is what u need Penn Plax Automatic Circulating Breeding Fish Hatchery - eBay (item 150563725444 end time Mar-17-11 01:17:38 PDT)

theres a pic of 1 otherwise the barbs goramis and other platies will have a snack