Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Brackish Water (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/brackish-water/)
-   -   Puffer ID (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/brackish-water/puffer-id-61618/)

tah1795 02-02-2011 01:17 PM

Puffer ID

2 Attachment(s)
I bought it as just a Leopard puffer but would like to know the species name.
any ideas?

ElectricBlueJackDempsey 02-02-2011 02:55 PM

I believe that is Carinotetraodon travancoricus

tah1795 02-02-2011 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ElectricBlueJackDempsey (Post 577487)
I believe that is Carinotetraodon travancoricus

Thanks!
so he is not going to be getting very big, should I be worried about him being in a 55 gallon with the other fish? (check my sig)

Would these rather be kept in groups?

ElectricBlueJackDempsey 02-02-2011 04:43 PM

You should be fine. These are the nicest of all Dwarf Puffers. Also know as Pea Puffers. As long as there are no fancy guppies or anything with long, flowing fins that they love to nip at. They do not need to be kept in groups. they actually do better alone as they can be territorial toward their own kind.

ginagv 02-02-2011 05:52 PM

I am in no way a puffer expert, but Pea Puffers (dwarf puffers) are a completely freshwater fish, not brackish- ever..

My other comment is this.. From what I have read, dwarf puffers should not be kept with anything else, expect maybe an otocinclus cat, and even then not always successfully, from all I have read.

Are you having aggression issues from the puffer with any of his/her other tankmates?

Gina

ElectricBlueJackDempsey 02-02-2011 06:12 PM

yes they are complete freshwater and I have kept a pea puffer with dwarf cichlids and Buenes Aires Tetras before and had no aggression problems

tah1795 02-02-2011 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ginagv (Post 577880)
I am in no way a puffer expert, but Pea Puffers (dwarf puffers) are a completely freshwater fish, not brackish- ever..

My other comment is this.. From what I have read, dwarf puffers should not be kept with anything else, expect maybe an otocinclus cat, and even then not always successfully, from all I have read.

Are you having aggression issues from the puffer with any of his/her other tankmates?

Gina

My tank is pure freshwater, I posted in brackish because I was guessing that most puffers belong in this category.

I have not had any aggression issues at all.

When I bought my puffer it was in with Angel fish (Pterophyllum scalare)

ginagv 02-02-2011 06:59 PM

really? How big were the angelfish it was in with? I have angelfish.. they are small still though.. like body size of a quarter.. and some cherry barbs.. as well as corydoras, ototcinclus, and 1 still small.. 2 inch albino bushynose pleco.. Think one could go in there? my tank is also 55 gallons and FULL of snails... I'd have one fat puffer on snails alone :-)

Just didnt want to have any of my present fish endangered, and I really didn't want to set up another tank just for a puffer.. They are characters.

Gina

tah1795 02-02-2011 07:11 PM

The Angels were pretty small, smaller than quarter size.
I was going to get some Angels but my pH is still too high..

ginagv 02-02-2011 07:47 PM

my Ph is high.. like 7.6 here... but the angels I bought were in the same water that my LPS has, so they were used to a higher Ph.. I think the only time pH is really an issue is if the Angels you are buying are wild caught..

At least, that is my understanding about pH and hardness, etc...

Gina