Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Particles in my water. (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/particles-my-water-61564/)

BrandonJ 02-01-2011 06:57 PM

Particles in my water.

1 Attachment(s)
I've been having trouble getting my water crystal clear. I now have it clear other than particles that are in my tank that look like dissolved salt. They almost look like micro bubbles and I don't know how to filter it out, my sump won't pick them up. Can this be caused by my GH being through the roof? This is a picture of the tank even though you can't see the particles.

Can I fix it by using R/O water?

Can it be caused by my sand? Originally beach sand. ( Yeah rip me apart ) It has been in there for over 1 year.

Can the rocks in my tank make my GH go up? (slate)

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated, Cheers.

burnsbabe 02-01-2011 11:06 PM

I hate to say it since you see this as a problem, but I think things look wonderful.

I doubt that your issue is either your sand or the slate. If the sand has been in for over a year you would have seen any potential problems much sooner than this. Slate is fairly inert as far as stone goes (one I see recommended in tanks a lot). I have a couple pieces in my 55g. If you're concerned about your gH I might be tempted to look for NATURAL ways to bring that down, but I doubt it's your issue at all.

Have you turned off the bubble curtain for a few hours to see if it makes a difference?

BrandonJ 02-02-2011 01:15 AM

I did, I thought it might be micro bubbles so I even put
A water sample in a clear container for a few hours nothing changed the particles were still suspended . I'm going to get a water polishing pad and find a spot for it in my sump and see if it helps. Thanks for the reply, cheers .
Posted via Mobile Device

BrandonJ 02-07-2011 12:44 PM

So I have 3 water polishing pads in my sump now and no change. Anyone know where I can get pads in Micron Sizes? like a 30-50 Micron cloth, I've tried chemicals (Aqueon Water Clarifier) and now polishing pads.

Among other things does anyone know if high GH can cause this, my local water is through the roof out of the tap and that's all I have ever used for the last 5-6 years. Does anyone also have any feedback on using R/O water in freshwater?

If there is a product available to reduce GH can someone shoot me a line and let me know what works,

Cheers.

Byron 02-07-2011 02:57 PM

Please don't use chemicals for these issues. I'll try to explain.

First on the "clarifiers," these use chemicals to bind suspended particulate matter into larger particles that will then (supposedly) be trapped in the filter media more easily. Unfortunately, the chemicals also bind the gills of fish. Never use them.

High hardness (GH) is not likely to be the cause. And while I'm on this issue, as you have rift lake cichlids you want hard water. They are well suited to that, the term "liquid rock" is often used for the hardness of the water in the rift lakes. Leave that alone, the fish will be better off.

As for the water clarity, I also can't detect anything in the photo, but I realize that in "life" it may be quite different. Is this a recent development, or has there always been some particulate matter obvious in the tank? If the latter, it may be related to water flow. The filter flow might keep whatever it is from settling out. Just a thought.

I must say this is a beautiful aquascape for the cichlids. Very nice indeed. [I hope those rocks are siliconed together...I'd hate to see one dislodge and bring them crashing down:shock:].

Byron.

PRichs87 02-07-2011 08:02 PM

I'm not sure if this is true... but your intake looks awfully close to your bubble bar. If this is the case the bubbles might be sucking into your sump and then spit out on the other end in micro-sizes. Just a thought though...