Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   ph issues ???? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/ph-issues-61551/)

clayton1169 02-01-2011 04:55 PM

ph issues ????

About 4-5 months ago I got a 72 gallon bow front tank for free I thought the bottom had a little coarse sand it I mixed in some more sand and transfer some of my geo's and other fish into tank I now realize that what I though was sand was crushed coral and lately i've had issues adding new fish they last for 2 days and then die i'm running an emperor 400 I do weekly water changes never had issues like this in my 125 so i'm starting to believe high ph is killing fish???

Byron 02-01-2011 05:11 PM

That is possible, but can you post some numbers? What is the pH in this tank (test before rather than after a water change), and what is the pH of your source (tap) water? And what are the fish.

clayton1169 02-01-2011 05:23 PM

I just changed water today ph right now is around 7.3 7.4 I have 3 clown loaches 2 plecos 2 geo jupari 2 geo surnemensis rainbow shark I recently added another geo was good for amost 2 days then today when I turned on the light I noticed he was breathing heavy an hour later it was dead : (

Byron 02-01-2011 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clayton1169 (Post 576633)
I just changed water today ph right now is around 7.3 7.4 I have 3 clown loaches 2 plecos 2 geo jupari 2 geo surnemensis rainbow shark I recently added another geo was good for amost 2 days then today when I turned on the light I noticed he was breathing heavy an hour later it was dead : (

WEhat is the pH of the water directly from the tap? What is the highest pH you've previously noted in the tank?

While we're at it, we should also check someother possible issues. Have you tested for ammonia, nityrite and nitrate, and if yes, what were the numbers?

clayton1169 02-01-2011 05:55 PM

ph at the tap is around 7.1 the ph has never gone over 7.6 ammonia test crystal clear I can't find nitrate chart looks lite blue green in test tube ?? I also had a few pieces of driftwood in tank for plecos so I removed a very large piece cause a read driftwood can increase ph

Byron 02-01-2011 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clayton1169 (Post 576668)
ph at the tap is around 7.1 the ph has never gone over 7.6 ammonia test crystal clear I can't find nitrate chart looks lite blue green in test tube ?? I also had a few pieces of driftwood in tank for plecos so I removed a very large piece cause a read driftwood can increase ph

Wood (real) will lower pH though very slightly, unless there is a lot of wood.

I suspect you are correct, the sand/gravel in the tank was probably coral or calcareous mineral. But a shift of only .5 should not cause fish deaths. As long as this is natural over the week and from water changes, and you are not using some chemical stuff to adjust the pH.

When you get new fish, you should acclimate them by floating the bag in the tank until the temp is equal. Then add some tank water to the bag (use a cup that is clean) and wait 15-20 minutes; then another cup and wait. Then net the fish from the bag into the tank, never add the bag water. Some use a pail for this, it is easier to manage. This prevents major shock from differing water parameters. I will assume the store is local and likely to have the same water as you.

As ammonia is zero that lets out it being some sort of mini-cycle with new fish.

I'll think about this some more, hopefully others may have some suggestions. I frankly do not think it is pH-related from what you've given us.