Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Is hakari the best??????? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/hakari-best-61525/)

jbonez 02-01-2011 10:51 AM

Is hakari the best???????

I was woundering how many of you swear by hakari products and how many use it???
I use hakari gold & hakari staples let me know how you feel about the hakari product.
I think my fish love it.

redchigh 02-01-2011 11:28 AM

Im not sure any form of pelleted or flaked food should be fed more than 80% of the time. If you offer live foor the other 20%, I think the difference in brands for the flake/pellet food is neglegible.

jeaninel 02-01-2011 12:46 PM

I have used Hikari and it is a good food. I do prefer Omega One though because it has quality ingredients. The first few ingredients in the Omega One cichlid pellets are Whole Salmon, Whole Herring, Whole Shrimp. The first ingredient in their shrimp pellets is Whole Shrimp. Of course, it depends on the type of fish you are feeding too. But for cichlids this is a good quality pellet. I also like New Life Spectrum (NLS).

amazon21 02-01-2011 01:50 PM

Honestly it depends on the product. Some Hikari products are pretty good and nutritional, while others I have seen seem to have more fillers than their competition, and one product even has MSG in it. Honestly when your buying fish food look at the ingrediants, not the brand

lorax84 02-01-2011 02:52 PM

It depends on the product. I tend to lean more towards NLS for my sinking carnivore foods and I use Omega One for my veggie wafers, but I like Hikari also. Anything with a good protein to fiber ratio is good with me.

aunt kymmie 02-01-2011 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeaninel (Post 576392)
I have used Hikari and it is a good food. I do prefer Omega One though because it has quality ingredients. The first few ingredients in the Omega One cichlid pellets are Whole Salmon, Whole Herring, Whole Shrimp. The first ingredient in their shrimp pellets is Whole Shrimp. Of course, it depends on the type of fish you are feeding too. But for cichlids this is a good quality pellet. I also like New Life Spectrum (NLS).

+1. Omega One and New Life Spectrum are GREAT foods, IMHO. I also feed Hikari but not as often as I feed the Omega and NLS.

underh2o 02-01-2011 04:36 PM

Can't believe all the years my fish staple was Tetra Min!!! Love the other foods but still use Tetra Min all the time. In answer to the question I use Hikari products and have had no complaints from my residents. Love Algae wafers..

jbonez 02-01-2011 06:15 PM

im gonna try giving them the omegaone & nls brand & i do have cichlids i was told that hakari was the best!

jbonez 02-04-2011 07:28 PM

New life spectrum!!!

3 Attachment(s)
well i bought my green terror & the rest of my fish new life spectrum cichlid formula & they love it its so small though but they love it so i feed the hakari gold, frozen blood worms and the NLS everyday i mix it up thanks guys & gal(s) lol, the green terror i bought his colors are really coming out now they were so dull in the fish storei have him & a electric tellow cichlid for about a week now in my 75gallon i sold my red devil :( he was to crazy i couldnt put anything eles in the tank with him. the green terror is about 4 to 5 inches when do they start really getting there pretty bright colors?, and the yellow cichlid is about 5 to 6 inces..

Mikaila31 02-04-2011 08:31 PM

Omega, NLS, and hikari are all good foods, but I agree with redchigh here. It doesn't matter really. I have hikari and NLS on hand here. I feed ken's fish food most of the time however, its great stuff and cheap. I have a couple pounds of dry fish food in the freezer. I try to feed frozen bloodworms, brineshrimp, and fish a few times a week.