Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Questions for all u people with 10-15 gl. tanks (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/questions-all-u-people-10-15-a-6152/)

Tycoon 05-28-2007 12:25 AM

Questions for all u people with 10-15 gl. tanks

How often do you do water changes?

How often do you gravel vac?

What kind of filter do use? (specify brand name pls)

How many fish do you have in there?

tangy 05-28-2007 01:10 AM

10 gallon here.
every weekend:vacuum gravel+30%water change+clean glass.
i have a Tetra Whisper Power Filter m60:30 - 60 gal. came with my 55 gal but didnt need it. real big for a 10 gal, but it does the job,and then some.
2 swordtail mollies, 2 blue gouramis

Mr.Todd 05-28-2007 01:55 AM

I have a very small bioload in my 10G tank. Right now there are just a couple of guppies... I really just use this tank as my testing grounds for things like rocks that I pull out of the mountains... It currently has a small $10 power filter rated for a 15G tank... I try and do water changes every week but really it only gets done twice a month (this reminds me I am going to go do a quick water change right now)...

I would suggest getting a power filter rated for a 20G tank (its not going to cost you that much more), doing weekly water changes using a gravel vac.

Some great (cheap) power filters are these:

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Produc...9&N=2004+22769

The cartridges are only like a buck a piece... Real bonus... :D

MattD 05-28-2007 02:17 AM

I had a 10 gallon with 2 Corys and 6 tetras.

Used an AquaClear 20, did water changes whenever my tests told me to (monitored closely checking every 2 days).

tophat665 05-28-2007 10:02 AM

I've got a 10 gallon with 1 male betta and 3 ottos. I have a duetto 50 in there.

I used to have a 10 gallon set up as a grow out tank for about 30 guppy fry. It had a sponge filter that kept it fine for a while, and once they got big enough to avoid getting sucked into a filter intake, I added a tetratech whisper 20. I kept it that way after I got rid of the guppies and used it as a quarantine tank.

fish_4_all 05-28-2007 12:13 PM

I have 3 10 gallon tank:
#1 is all snails right now, 2 trapdoors, 3 mystery and 1 dozen or so ramshorns with unknown number of pond snails. Has 2 anubias and java fern in it. Aquatech filter came with the setup.
#2 is heavily planted with 14 neon tetras and 2 skunk botia loaches. AC 20 HOB Filter
#3 is also heavily planted with 6 swords, 5 cories, 4 otos and a fish I have never been able to name. AC 20 HOB filter.

I change 50-60% of the water every week and gravel vac as much as possible every time I change the water.

NeonJulie 05-28-2007 01:21 PM

About every 4-6 days, usually 50%. More water changed when trying a new vitamin food, or after algae wafers (my gourami really unloads after eating them. *lol*) In a few days my floating plants will arrive, that will hopefully soak up nitrates.

I don't understand this question. Gravel vac = water change for me. I don't see how else people get the water out. Not sure why people would take the water out, maybe from the top? when most of the problems are from excess waste/uneated food lying on the bottom. Maybe this depends on how many real plants you have. (None for me.)

My tank is in kit form, an Eclipse, and the filter is manufactured by Marineland. It filters 35 gallons per hour.

How many fish do you have in there? 12 gallon

My preferred stocking recipe:

Big fish first: a dwarf gourami
small school next: 7 neon tetras
algae feeders next: 3 otocinclus

I actually have 3 more neons that have been quarantined for 5 months and have recovered (I thought they were terminal, apparently not.) Once I get my nitrates lower with the plants, I'm going to try putting them in the tank and see how it works. Doesn't seem fair to punish them when they aren't sick anymore. But usually I wouldn't put that many neons in a tank that size. It may work ok since all the fish are full grown, and no one really competes for space - the dwarf gourami uses the top of the tank most of the time, the neons the mid/bottom, and the Otos are usually on the plants or on the sides of the tank.

I love it - it's a perfect size, easy to maintain, gives me a good range of stocking, has a great filter and a bio wheel, and it looks great. The fish have all colored beautifully, the neons school nicely, and my Otos are active even during the day now, and fat as can be.

(I'm still not sure I recommend neons though, they are definitely subject to disease despite doing everything I could before they arrived, and after, to ensure their health. I've only lost 3 out of 13, but the others have been sick for 4 months or longer without any treatment working, other than they eventually get better on their own. Golden or white cloud minnows for me next time. *lol*)

Rue 05-28-2007 06:08 PM

Re: Questions for all u people with 10-15 gl. tanks

...on my 10g tank:

Every 1-2 weeks (depends on how busy I am)

Every 2 weeks - more if I notice something needs doing...

No name - came with tank...added a small Fluval sponge to the 'clamshell' that came with it...the white material with the carbon centre...

How many fish do you have in there?

4 Puffers in the puffer tank...

Falina 05-29-2007 04:00 AM

Quote:

I don't understand this question. Gravel vac = water change for me. I don't see how else people get the water out. Not sure why people would take the water out, maybe from the top? when most of the problems are from excess waste/uneated food lying on the bottom. Maybe this depends on how many real plants you have. (None for me.)
I use a bucket to do water changes every week, and more often a lot of the time. I just scoop out water if it'a looking a bit dirty for example after my plecs have been at the courgettes - what a mess they make! Then I gravel vac every fortnight or more often if it looks like it needs it but it never really does.

As for the 10-15g tanks.

I have a 15g but it is still cycling so I can only really tell you what filter I use - Fluval 3+ - I love this filter! :) I'm either going to use the tank for golden apple snails and juvenille fry (if that makes sense), or puffers, so in either case the over-filteration is required.

leifthebunny 05-30-2007 10:18 AM

I have 2 12g eclipses. I do a 2g water change every week and follow the same routine I do for my larger tanks and vacuum half of the gravel in the tank at a time. It's easier for me to remember which side of the tank I do if all of the tanks are on the same schedule :p