Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Invertebrates (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/invertebrates/)
-   -   Snail Over populating my tank (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/invertebrates/snail-over-populating-my-tank-61508/)

wised 02-01-2011 02:51 AM

Snail Over populating my tank

Hi all I seriously need advice on whatelse i could do i was so excited at first to have baby's from snails but now i can't stand them anymore they are all over the place and i can't get rid of them (grrrrr). I have 1 assassin snail but nothing else. I have a 54 liter tank with 9 female endler guppies and 1 betta and 6 albino cory's I am sure this is over populated but io just want something to get rid of my snail issue. What would be a good fish that won't eat my baby endlers and betta..?

Aqua Jon 02-01-2011 10:24 AM

What type of snails are you having a problem with? If you don't know the name, try describing them along with posting a picture please.

wised 02-01-2011 01:47 PM

Hi aquajon

The greek name is Gyraulus Acronicus...Gyraulus acronicus (Vanlig skivesnegle) | Akvaforum.no - Akvarieforum, akvarium og akvariefisk (sorry norwegian forum)

Gyraulus acronicus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (wikipedia)

redchigh 02-01-2011 01:52 PM

So, it's a ramshorn.

I say this every day it seems... If you have too many snails, you absolutely, positively, 100%, are overfeeding.

Snails only reproduce when there is enough food. If you feed your fish every day, you're overfeeding in my opinion. Fish don't eat every day in the wild. Give them 1 day without food.

Is every speck of food gone in 2 minutes? (not counting bottomfeeders)
If not, you're overfeeding.

There's only one animal that will eat snails that I reccomend, and that's the assassin snail. The best thing to do is bait them.

Drop some food in on a saucer or bowl right before lights out. In the morning, get the bowl'o'snails out and throw it away.

wised 02-01-2011 01:56 PM

Hi red i don't feed my fish everyday and i do have 1 assassin snail and he has done some work on killing the snails but i have to deal with all those babies it seems like its never ending to get rid of them all.

redchigh 02-01-2011 02:31 PM

well, without cutting the food supply, you're left with baiting every week, forever.

They have to be eating something.

Inga 02-01-2011 02:41 PM

Ah the dreaded Ramshorn snails. I have had that problem myself. How I took care of the problem was a process.

First I scooped out as many as I could visually see
Second, I took out ALL the plants and decor
Third scooped out all the snails I could see again because there were hundreds hiding under the wood
fourth I started cleaning the water and gravel daily, changed my filter etc...
fifth cut down on the amount I was feeding still....

Each morning I would find a few more snails on the glass and I would scoop them out, daily
At this point I added an Assassin snail and it has been busy keeping the population down. That seemed effective because though I am sure there are still a few sneaky snails in there, nothing like what I had before.

Good luck to you. It will be a process and it isn't easy but, I think it is neccessary to get rid of them.

HMlairy 02-01-2011 02:47 PM

With controlled food amounts, could i keep a 1 Ramshorn without the tank over populating?

wised 02-01-2011 02:49 PM

Hmlairy as far as i know they can breed without another so with all the problems im having i would advise and say STAY AWAY!!! get an assasin snail or apple snail they don't breed as much

HMlairy 02-01-2011 02:51 PM

I'm thinking zebra :) not sure where i can get them from in the UK though :/