Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Catfish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/catfish/)
-   -   My cory laid eggs!! (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/catfish/my-cory-laid-eggs-61500/)

britnyjackson 02-01-2011 12:23 AM

My cory laid eggs!!

8 Attachment(s)
Cory's had eggs and I'm super excited!! They laid them everywhere 2 days ago! The only ones that survived so far are the ones that we're strategically placed in front of the current of the filter. Such smart fishies! I have no clue who had them, but I'm stoked!! How long until they hatch? what do I need to do to keep them alive?? aaahhhh soooo excited!!

tanker 02-01-2011 04:18 AM

Oh, wow. I'd love to have baby cories.... I hope yours hatch and grow up.

Romad 02-01-2011 04:23 AM

How fun is that? No clue on how long they'll take to hatch but I hope they make it.

sik80 02-01-2011 04:33 AM

My cory eggs took about 3 days to hatch. They'll be eaten quickly in the community tank, so i put the eggs in a floating hatchery/basket thing and fed them algae, infusoria and crushed adult food after hatching. I managed to raised 3 out of about 10 eggs i saved and put them i my main tank when about 3/4" long

SeaHorse 02-01-2011 07:46 AM

OMG that's exciting! What kind of Cory and how big are the parents? How many Cory did you have in there?... I want baby Cories!! LOL Sorry for the questions.!!

britnyjackson 02-01-2011 09:01 AM

So should I move the eggs? How do I know if their fertilized? Today is day 3, god I hope to come home to find babies! And I'm super excited also so I understand ur excitement! Ill keep u all posted if any hatch!
Posted via Mobile Device

sik80 02-01-2011 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by britnyjackson (Post 576233)
So should I move the eggs? How do I know if their fertilized? Today is day 3, god I hope to come home to find babies! And I'm super excited also so I understand ur excitement! Ill keep u all posted if any hatch!
Posted via Mobile Device

I'd move the eggs myself - the fry will get eaten otherwise. I had panda corys and the eggs are really tough and can be picked off by hand, or scraped off with a razor blade from the glass. You might be able to see the dark spots of the eyes through the egg shell if they're fertilised.

SeaHorse 02-01-2011 10:05 AM

Also I heard, because I hope to have baby Pineapple Swordtails, not to put the eggs/fry in a NET type hatchery, but hard plastic instead, because the fish in the tank will try to eat them thru the netting. Just an FYI.
..... waiting patiently.......not! (Hope you own a camera)

sik80 02-01-2011 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jakiebabie (Post 576268)
Also I heard, because I hope to have baby Pineapple Swordtails, not to put the eggs/fry in a NET type hatchery, but hard plastic instead, because the fish in the tank will try to eat them thru the netting. Just an FYI.
..... waiting patiently.......not! (Hope you own a camera)

yep, i used a hard plastic one. I filled it with baby java ferns that I happened to have in my tank to provide cover

britnyjackson 02-01-2011 03:48 PM

Uh oh, all I have ATM is a mesh one, would that be better than nothing? So, is there a lot of changes that occur with the eggs themselves from the time their laid to the time they hatch? I haven't noticed any little black spots in the eggs, but their so tiny that it'd be hard for me to notice. I also haven't looked super close though.