Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Commentary on my cycling plan. (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/commentary-my-cycling-plan-6148/)

Mr.Todd 05-27-2007 08:05 PM

Commentary on my cycling plan.

So here is the low down...

I am upgrading my tank up from a 30G to a 72G. I will be using all new substrate and aquascape in the new tank.

In my old tank I have an Eheim 2213 Canister (116G /hr) and I have purchased an Eheim Professional 2224 canister (185G/hr) as well for the big tank. I plan to use both filters in the new tank so that i turn over the tank a little over 4 times per hour.

I also have a phosphate reactor that I will be using to remove phosphate as well as run some carbon or other chemical media as needed.

The smaller canister is well established, the larger canister has been running in the old tank for about three weeks or so.

My new tank should arrive later this week so I plan to fill it and get it going as soon as it gets here and move the larger canister filter over to it immediately. The trick is allowing the tank to cycle as well as providing enough ammonia for the partially established filter to keep going.

Do I dare let the tank run for a few days while using some sort of biological additive and try for a quick cycle? (also could you please recommend your favorite kind of additive, I have not had good luck with the product "Cycle" by Hagen)

What do you all think would be the best plan of attack? :P

Enzo 05-27-2007 08:23 PM

if you want to do a VERY fast cycle add plants then 1 prawn per 30 gallons then added some water and fish crap and stuff from a cycled tank the prawn will start decomposing then the water from the cycled tank will add bacteria which will build up way faster and you wont need to change the water during the nitrate cycle because the plant will eliminate the nitrates i did this and it took around 10 days

tophat665 05-28-2007 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Enzo
if you want to do a VERY fast cycle add plants then 1 prawn per 30 gallons then added some water and fish crap and stuff from a cycled tank the prawn will start decomposing then the water from the cycled tank will add bacteria which will build up way faster and you wont need to change the water during the nitrate cycle because the plant will eliminate the nitrates i did this and it took around 10 days

That's brilliant and should work perfectly. I know of a fellow who swears that the quickest way to cycle a tank is to bury a dead goldfish in the gravel. This is exactly the same sort of thing, but the plants will help with the nitrates.

For getting rid of nitrates, I recommend wisteria - it's a firkin nitrate sponge.