Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Tropical Fish Diseases (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/)
-   -   instant redfin tinfoil death (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/instant-redfin-tinfoil-death-61475/)

mbeauchemin 01-31-2011 08:14 PM

instant redfin tinfoil death

i was looking at the tank for about 20 min, come out to throw chicken on the grill, walk back inside past my 55gal and my barb has gone belly up from visibly perfect life within 5 min. What would cause this? there are multiple other fish in the tank. that all appear to be fine. stress? not enough food? any ideas?

Blabomb 01-31-2011 08:58 PM

Was the fish new? If so it could have been stress. The changes in water temperature or pH could have also caused it

mbeauchemin 01-31-2011 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blabomb (Post 575914)
Was the fish new? If so it could have been stress. The changes in water or pH could have also caused it

I have had him for about 2 months he was about 6 inches total. Im thinking a re-aranged the rocks today and might have stressed him too much? I don't know what happened. Its about 5 house since i changed the rocks around and he seemed fine until i walked away for 5 min. Too bad he was a really cool fish
Posted via Mobile Device

1077 02-01-2011 04:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbeauchemin (Post 575844)
i was looking at the tank for about 20 min, come out to throw chicken on the grill, walk back inside past my 55gal and my barb has gone belly up from visibly perfect life within 5 min. What would cause this? there are multiple other fish in the tank. that all appear to be fine. stress? not enough food? any ideas?

When in doubt, test the water or have sample tested by fish store for ammonia,nitrites and nitrAtes.
Ammonia and nitrites must read zero, and nitrates should be around 20 ppm between your weekly water changes.
Once you have your sample of water to be tested, then perform a 30 to 50 percent water change.
Fishes,like us,,,don't always get sick at same time. If water quality begins to suffer however, then fishes may begin to exhibit symptoms one by one,or all at once.
Diet is another thing to consider,Tinfoil Barbs need substantial plant,algae matter in their diet for they are herbivores for the most part and will do poorly with diet consisting of mainly foods containing animal protein.
Tank size and proper filtration for volume of water is also important.As fish grow ,they eat more,and produce more waste.If tank and filter is too small, then fishes health will begin to deteriorate as the waste created bewteen water changes which may or may not be large enough or frequent enough,, begins to affect the water qualtiy.
Normally,, (almost never) do fish get sick and die within five minutes with possible exception of poor acclimation to different water source or enviornment.
Deterioration of fishes health, leading to death ,,,is slow process with few exceptions.IMHO

mbeauchemin 02-01-2011 04:38 PM

thanks. im probally going to bet on nutrition. mostly protein and flakes. now i feel like garbage thinking it was my fault.live and learn i guess... maybe more research on each species going forward...

aunt kymmie 02-01-2011 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbeauchemin (Post 576581)
thanks. im probally going to bet on nutrition. mostly protein and flakes. now i feel like garbage thinking it was my fault.live and learn i guess... maybe more research on each species going forward...

Don't feel bad, most of us have at one time or another lost a fish, it happens, and you're right, this is how we learn. ;-)