Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   2 part question. (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/2-part-question-61303/)

wannalearn 01-29-2011 11:40 PM

2 part question.

like i said i have a 2 part question, 1. what type of filter is everybody using, and how many, 2. what do you do to keep floating plants from getting sucked into the intake tube on the filter or pushed around and beat up buy the water coming back into the tank.. oh pros and cons of the diffrent filters would be nice if you dont mind.... thanks all

DarkMaster Y0da 01-30-2011 12:30 AM

Questions in return

What size tank is it? What are you planning putting in it? What kind of floating plants?

wannalearn 01-30-2011 01:29 AM

it is a 75g. i currently only have 2 small amazon swords.. i plan to add anubius, and a few others.. not sure yet, maybe java fern or moss.... but for floating i defenatley want water sprite, and possibly duck weed..

DarkMaster Y0da 01-30-2011 01:44 AM

Thanks easy then i would recommend the fluval FX5 canister filter heads stay underwater and the intake is at the bottom of the tank that is what i have on my 75 now it works up to a 400gal aquarium had it for several years no probs only have to clean it every several months

jaysee 01-30-2011 04:48 AM

I run 2 canisters on my 4 foot tanks. My tanks have a turnover rate of 8 - 10 times an hour, regardless if its a HOB or canister. I too don't clean my canisters more than a few times a year, max.

I have renas, fluvals and sunsuns. The sunsuns are my favorite, and there is no beating the price. I am actually replacing the fluvals with them. Sunsun are the white filters sold on ebay. They are either sold by the name sunsun or perfect. For your tank, I would get a 265 gph model and a 369 gph model. Cost of both, with shipping - less than $150.

If you add duckweed, you'll NEVER get it out, and will possibly spread it to other tanks where you'll NEVER get it out. The leaflets are just so small that even when you think you've gotten all of it out, it comes right back. I strongly suggest not getting duckweed.

DarkMaster Y0da 01-30-2011 07:46 AM

i understand running two filters i use to when i was running smaller filters but for $ per $ the fluval is a better deal saves on the electric bill and you don't have all those hoses

jaysee 01-30-2011 05:36 PM

IME running 2 smaller canisters keeps the tank cleaner than one big one. Not that one big filter can't do the job - it's just been my experience than 2 are better than 1.

The extra hoses don't bother me, since they are behind the tank and not in sight.

The difference between the FX5 (48) and the 2 canisters (35+18) I mentioned is 5 watts. That's hardly going to make a difference in the electric bill.

DarkMaster Y0da 02-01-2011 06:43 PM

I get your point not much savings on electric bill but also compare your two filters combined you only get 634GPH with the FX5 you get 925GPH so if you really compair the two you do save more. Plus the expence of filter pads and everything is it is just easier and better to go with a larger filter.

jaysee 02-01-2011 10:20 PM

I'm all about overfiltering a tank, but I think 925 gph is a bit overkill for a 75 gallon tank. Most people would agree that a 634 gph canister filtration system is really good filtration for a 75 gallon tank. Plus, there's piece of mind to know that should one filter break, the tank will continue to be filtered.

The only filter media expense in EITHER case is carbon....if you use it.

I'm not saying the FX5 isn't a good filter. This isn't a matter of whose suggestion is better, no one is going to win anything. I am merely offering a cost effective filtration solution.

If the OP has the $$ to spend, the FX5 will surely appeal to them. The FX5 sells itself.