Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   What would you put in a 10 gallon? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/what-would-you-put-10-gallon-613/)

dprUsh83 09-24-2006 11:04 PM

What would you put in a 10 gallon?

Just can't wrap my mind around what to do with my 10 gallon. If I got freshwater, any recommendations? I don't want a community tank with a ton of tiny fish, I like bigger fish. I know I can't put a large fish in the tank, but I'd rather have 1-3 bigger fish than 5-10 small fish. Any ideas?

Feel free to throw out any ideas!

Nick 09-24-2006 11:08 PM

I really dont know what bigger fish you can put in a little 10 gallon. Congo tetra's? Umm...Rainbows? Sorry no help but I'm realy uncertain on what to say I'm just rambling some fish that come to my mind...I will give it a though

Lupin 09-25-2006 02:40 AM

If you want big fish, why do you have to plan 10 gallons?:dunno: Congo Tetras when kept in a shoal of 6 will need 55 gallons minimum no matter what size they'll be. Juveniles will still grow considerably.
The same thing applies to rainbowfish(larger species).
They need large swimming space as opposed to the small areas in a 10 gallons.

For 10 gallons tank, only a betta, smaller tetras, harlequin rasboras and cherry barbs will fit. If you want bottom dwellers, try otos and cories. For surface, hatchetfish will do but ensure you have a glass cover as they jump.
For unique fish, threadfin rainbows(Iriatherina werneri) will do.:thumbsup: Ensure that they are the only fish in the tank alongside with perhaps, harlequin rasboras but threadfins are best kept among themselves. Make sure you don't keep them with fin nippers.

joeshmoe 09-25-2006 08:09 AM

dwarf puffers :P

dprUsh83 09-25-2006 11:49 AM

Well I got it figured out. I went into a LFS today to browse around and I got to talking with the owner. She said she has more success selling large clown loaches and I said I can only have small ones. So once my loaches start outgrowing my 10 gallon (which won't take TOO awful long) I can take them back in and get store credit on top of it. I figure since I'm going in there anyways, might as well get to know the owner and try to get some deals, and some credit on top of it! I ended up with 2 corys, 2 clown loaches, and some really small eel type fish (?). All very tiny, mind you.

I think it was a good situation for what I'm looking for. Although I won't be as attached since I know they'll be traded in periodically, it is a good compromise for the tank! Let me know what you think. :wink:

dprUsh83 09-25-2006 01:33 PM

I tried to get a picture, I don't know how well it turned out, he wouldn't get away from the top corner where some bloodworms wound up :lol:

http://www.fishforum.com/userpix/222_eel_1.jpg

joeshmoe 09-25-2006 01:44 PM

watch out! thats not a eel thats a bircher or however you spell it. they can get up too 1'

dprUsh83 09-25-2006 01:51 PM

Might have to grow and trade that one in too, then :lol:

I'll have to get the exact name and check up on it, but it shows no signs of aggression whatsoever. I know that type of fish is supposed to be nocturnal, but it's been swimming with the other fish and even making non-aggresive contact with them :?:

dprUsh83 09-25-2006 02:16 PM

Searched your keyword, and found that it is a Dinosaur Bichir. With research it says they're more aggresive than what I was told. It's a really cool fish, but I'll probably find a new home for it in a month or so. The biggest threat is that it says they are great "escape artists" if the hood isn't escape proof. The tank that was given to me has a good hood, but there are plenty of places to hop out! :lol:

Nick 09-25-2006 08:18 PM

Remove the clown loaches right now. They are wayyy to small for a 10 gallon tank even at juvenile stages. It can stunt there growth and its not healthy for the fish. The LFS gave you baddd advice sorry to say but take them back asap and get some different fish.

Nick