Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Livebearers (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/livebearers/)
-   -   Guppy Fry Are Growing Up, have questions! (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/livebearers/guppy-fry-growing-up-have-questions-6128/)

ttmmm2001 05-27-2007 03:39 AM

Guppy Fry Are Growing Up, have questions!

Its true, my babies are ready to leave the nursery tank and go back in with the adults.
I noticed something strange though, i think this entire batch is girls!

They are 5 weeks old and have had a small bit of color on their tail for a while, but not on their bodies. I also cant see any gondopodium (sp?) forming.

At what age can you generally tell their sex? Is it normal to have a batch of 8 fry all female?

I have another 2 batches of fry that are only 2 weeks old and i can see some of them developing color on their whole body, im guessing those are the males but could just be different dads.

My tank is filling up fast! Thanks for your help. :D

willow 05-27-2007 04:35 AM

hi
some of my guppy babies are the
same as yours, :)
i am getting a little over run with them now
as there is nothing in the tank that seems
to eat them.
and i don't have the heart to put them in with the barbs. :(

Falina 05-27-2007 04:47 PM

I read somewhere that if it's the females first lot of fry then they're likely to be mainly female. I don't know if I believe this or not, leaning much more towards the not...

Lupin 05-27-2007 11:19 PM

Re: Guppy Fry Are Growing Up, have questions!

Quote:

Originally Posted by ttmmm2001
At what age can you generally tell their sex? Is it normal to have a batch of 8 fry all female?

3 months generally allows them sexable. A female can drop more than 20 fry. The most fry I had before was 30-40 but most do not survive so don't expect 100% survival rate among the newborn fry.:)

Be sure to separate the males and females as soon as you determine their sexes. Interbreeding of siblings=large percentage for deformities and other genetic defects

You will have to cull the deformed fry as they are not worth for producing another generation.

lioness501 05-29-2007 05:30 PM

mine all looked like girls before they were about 5 months then i could def determine the sex. like humans perhaps they all start off as girls?????????

afrogg 09-22-2007 09:08 AM

that is very interesting. i had a hard time telling the gender for one of my guppies when i got him. i guess he was just really young. now he is clearly male and his fins have changed shape and gotten much longer.

willow 09-22-2007 11:32 AM

my advise would be,
keep an eye in them,as they are like rabbits,
and before you know it,the girls will have fallen again.

jr.masterbreeder 10-08-2007 07:05 PM

you never know with guppy... just wait it out

sweetwaterarabians 11-23-2007 08:44 AM

What are you feeding?

What are you feeding them? It depends what and how much they are eating on how fast they grow. Also, some lines mature slower than others. I generally can tell around 6 weeks with mine. The gonopodium fin starts to develop when they start to get their color. It gradually becomes more pointed. The females will have a gravid spot and the males aren't as robust as the baby males. Some people can tell right away the males from the females with a light but that's pretty difficult. I can't do it. I just wait until they are a little bigger and easier to see.

Good luck with your babies! It's so exciting to watch them get their color and see how they turn out!