Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Cyprinids and Atherinids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cyprinids-atherinids/)
-   -   Koolaid barbs not schooling (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cyprinids-atherinids/koolaid-barbs-not-schooling-61273/)

Freddy 01-29-2011 05:48 PM

Koolaid barbs not schooling

Hey everyone, I just got some new barbs! As an update for while I've been gone:
I took in the oscar and pleco because my mom wanted "nice pretty fish". Actually, not only because of that, but there was a compromise: At Petsmart, I saw a peacock eel. I knew I wanted one, and petsmart is never in stock of them, and I knew I could keep it in the 90 gallon tank. In the 90 gallon tank, we finally got rid of the bass, released it where we caught it, and moved in the oscar and pleco. So, back at petsmart, my mom had looked at the eel and said "no". We asked the person at petsmart who was in charge of the fish section and she said we could keep spiny eels with barbs. Well, I went home, researched it, and found that peacock eels could be kept with barbs.
Next week, I went to my LFS and got a dozen tiger barbs. I brought in the oscar and pleco, and the guy there said he could give me 10 barbs for them, so I only ended up paying for 2. They were pretty confused at first, but by the next day, they were schooling. Later this week, I got 9 koolaid barbs (pretty much just red, shiny barbs). They were also confused and scared the tiger barbs at first. Now, the tiger barbs are back in a school every now and then, but for the most part they seem to be mixing with the koolaid barbs, which do not school at all. Why aren't the koolaid barbs schooling?
A few more questions. Sorry for the extra long post, I have no idea why they always end up being so long.
At my other LFS, they said I could keep a fire eel with the barbs. Is this right, or will a fire eel eat the barbs?
Also, 2 tiger barbs have died. They both did the same thing. They stayed in one place, one was behind the powerhead, and one was inside the driftwood roots (artificial), and neither one of them would join the school or eat. I have found both of them dead on the filters. Why did they stop eating?
That's all. Thanks for any help.

jaysee 01-31-2011 01:11 AM

I've never heard of kool aid barbs, not even as a common name. Are they rosy barbs?

Freddy 01-31-2011 04:35 PM

No, koolaid barbs are not the same as rosy barbs, but some of them look similar. The females don't have much color, but the males are a nice red color with some shiny scales near their bellies. I think some may be just mislabeled rosy barbs (as in 1 or 2 out of 9) but most of them are definitely not rosy barbs. I have a picture of some on my iPod... I'll have to see if I can post a picture from here.
Posted via Mobile Device

Edit: Nope, can't choose from pics on my iPod, but looking at them I think the one I thought was mislabeled is actually just a female... The koolaid barbs all have a dark spot on their tails. Not a disease, just their coloring.

jaysee 01-31-2011 06:35 PM

There is no such fish as a koolaid barb. How about glass barbs?

Freddy 02-02-2011 05:50 PM

Ah, glass barbs, just looked them up and they look just like the "koolaid" barbs. I guess different people call them different thongs in different places. So to answer your question, yes, they are the same thing, both are reddish with shiny scales and a black dot on their tails.
Any idea why they're not schooling?
Posted via Mobile Device

Freddy 02-04-2011 09:20 AM

Oops, I meant "different things" not "different thongs"...
Posted via Mobile Device

jaysee 02-04-2011 10:18 AM

Barbs don't "school", they just hang out as a group, sometimes more spread out than others. It would help to know what they are actually doing.

Oh, and if it doesn't register on google, it's not a common common name. I think it's just your store that sells "koolaid" barbs, so I'd switch that to glass barb if you want people to know what fish you are talking about.