Tropical Fish Keeping banner

Cory Eggs

3K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  britnyjackson 
#1 ·
So last week, I posted in the aquarium section that all of my guppies were dying off and I thought it was due to high nitrates. My hubby figured out that with the huge mass of java moss in there, it was sucking up all the oxygen and the fish were dying of hypoxia. The fry survived because theyre so small. My 2 corys are still in there. In fact, this morning, only about 5 days after the massive deaths, the tank had a ton of eggs in it. The only thing that could've done it was the cory because snails dont drop eggs like that and guppies surely do not. Then, I got a picture of one of the corys holding a bunch of eggs in her pectoral fins!! Attached is the picture! The eggs are white and you can see the yolk or whatever in it which is a darker color. Please comment and share your thoughts! I love green corys because they're resilient.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Oh yeah, and I guess this is the first time I've ever seen eggs in there (since I got the cories in May of 2010) because of all the guppies dying off. I guess the guppies had been eating up the cory eggs in the past. And with only guppy fry in there, they're too small to eat the eggs. Also a little romance story about this pair of cories: I got the first cory and he/she seemed depressed. Didn't move much, didn't eat... the tank was a mess. I thought it was going to die. So I went to the store and bought another one about 2-3 weeks later. That very day, both cories were swimming around together, both were eating, so happy! I have a 29 gallon tank with all live plants. Any time you see one, you will always see the other within a few inches of the other. Cories are really social fish! So, after all the guppy deaths, there seems to be promise!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.